B & Q casualty department

• 13 Replies

Sprouts

B & Q casualty department
« on: May 03, 2012, 18:33 »
Had a good visit to the B &Q casualty department today. French Marigolds packs of 12 10p a pack, Violas 24's 50p, Pansies 24's 50p and Petunias 24's 50p just need a little bit of TLC and they'll be good as new!!!

LilacSandy

Re: B & Q casualty department
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 19:19 »
I always shop there when I go to that end of town. Great bargains sometimes, normally just crying out for a little water.

Slowgrind

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39 »
That store tend to stock plants too soon, so that they go into instant decline outdoors.
A little TLC in the greenhouse and they soon revive!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 21:23 »
We have a similar story with bizzy lizzies and another tray of plants that looked rather sorry, nothing more required than a little bit of TLC in the greenhouse.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 23:06 »
I did the same with some lupins grat way to save  tlc works great.
B n q do tend to get things in far to early fine if you are buying plug plants to grow on in the greenhouse but not straight into the garden. Most of the time plants are not looked after to well
 You would think the would learn a lesson but they never do.
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:47 »
We have a similar story with bizzy lizzies and another tray of plants that looked rather sorry, nothing more required than a little bit of TLC in the greenhouse.

I'd be interested to see how the Bizzy Lizzies turn out Tenhens.

Last year we lost the lot from the nasty condition they get, and I thought they might have cracked the problem this year.

Agree with your way of bringing plants back to life though - and at a bargain price too!

mattwragg94

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29 »
i love B&Q - yesterday i got a tray of 6 pepper plants for 20p and all of the plants where in good nick  :ohmy:and all of their strawbs where marked at 50p each too, so i got 3 alpine and 3 of another variety - all of them had flower buds on them :D

i think i might pop down tommorow to get some more strawbs :)
100_1019.JPG
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 19:26 by mattwragg94 »

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 13:02 »
Homebase is good too - as soon as plants go slightly over, they slash the prices - most of my houseplants have come from there - £8 reduced to 50p just because a few of the leaves have turned brown!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 14:54 »
Best bargain we ever got was last year.  Seed potatoes (organic ones at that!) knocked down to 50p a net because they were "sprouting".  ::)
No sense in being pessimistic It wouldn’t work anyway.

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:43 »
I love it!  They do the work for you (i.e. chitting) and then feel they have to charge you less  :lol:

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27 »
i got a pair of tiny, wilted courgette plants from homebase for 20p and duly nursed them to good health on my windowsill but kept wondering why they didn't have the characteristic 'pumpkin family' leaves and weren't bulking up and staying quite 'stingy'  :blink:

4 weeks later, whilst turning the plants to get sunshine on the opposite side.....the back of the label reads - french beans!   :lol:

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

baldy-bob

• It's got two choices....grow or no grow
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 18:28 »
I used to work for B&Q and the main reason why some plants are put in the casualty bay is the lack of staff to do the watering. My store only had 2 people to look after the gardening dept including all the mowers etc. If one went on holiday, management never got someone else to help, therefore the watering was way down on the list. Big companies like this will still make a profit even selling at knockdown prices because they are able to buy in bulk. The margins tend to be very high.

mattwragg94

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48 »
went to B&Q on saturday - when they had their BOGOFF  promotion on plants. tey had some toms (totem and tumbler) reduced to 20p each - but i managed to get 4 for 40p, plus they where only reduced due to scorch on the leafs - and are alreday starting to pick up with sighs of flowers.

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 19:13 »
homebase is having a knocked down plant day on a thursday , i dont know if its all shops or just a few , worth a look if you have one close .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 37 queries.