« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 19:41 »
last one
DSC_0218 (400 x 600).jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: How to start?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 20:22 »
I see what you mean about water...

Keep off until a) the water has cleared and b) the soil no longer sticks to your boots.  You'll do more harm than good to its structure by walking on it and compacting it.

Spend the time in the interim by planning out the plot.

You have perennial weeds so don't dig or rotavate them in.  You'll need to get them out - either organically by digging them out, or using chemical weedkiller which you apply and leave to work for a couple of weeks.

Aim to clear a little at a time and plant as you go.  Any weedy bits which you don't manage to clear or kill in the next week or two should be covered up so they don't get out of control.  Avoid carpet - use cardboard or weed fabric as examples.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mattwragg94

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 20:28 »
hi ionkar - regarding adding the organic material, horse manure will be fine - as long as its well rotted (atleast 1 year old) ;)

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 21:57 »
On the horse manure, just be a bit careful about the source of your horse manure and make sure it has not been contaminated by a pesticide called aminopyralid.

This article explains the problem, but there are other articles on the site too:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/news/2010-03/contaminated-manure-fertilisers

Just check with whoever supplies your horse manure that they haven't used this pesticide. 

Good luck with the plot.  Looking at your pictures, I think the water will subside eventually.  However, I think after that, once you have rid that area of weeds it would be a good idea to improve the soil and drainage, and perhaps consider growing in raised beds just there, as your crops won't like sitting in water.   

ionkar

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 22:41 »
I see what you mean about water...

Keep off until a) the water has cleared and b) the soil no longer sticks to your boots.  You'll do more harm than good to its structure by walking on it and compacting it.

Spend the time in the interim by planning out the plot.

You have perennial weeds so don't dig or rotavate them in.  You'll need to get them out - either organically by digging them out, or using chemical weedkiller which you apply and leave to work for a couple of weeks.

Aim to clear a little at a time and plant as you go.  Any weedy bits which you don't manage to clear or kill in the next week or two should be covered up so they don't get out of control.  Avoid carpet - use cardboard or weed fabric as examples.

Thanks Yorkie!!!
I will keep you updated!

ionkar

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 22:42 »
On the horse manure, just be a bit careful about the source of your horse manure and make sure it has not been contaminated by a pesticide called aminopyralid.

This article explains the problem, but there are other articles on the site too:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/news/2010-03/contaminated-manure-fertilisers

Just check with whoever supplies your horse manure that they haven't used this pesticide. 

Good luck with the plot.  Looking at your pictures, I think the water will subside eventually.  However, I think after that, once you have rid that area of weeds it would be a good idea to improve the soil and drainage, and perhaps consider growing in raised beds just there, as your crops won't like sitting in water.   

Thanks for the information!!! It will be the second step!!!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50 »
congrats on your new plot  8)

As your land is water logged it would be interesting to see how far down you need to go to find clay. the worst i've seen is just under 30cm to find solid clay. if water logged ground is common in that area in heavy down pour then it would be advisable to look into making raised beds. clay doesn't absorb rain water that well so the top soil can only adsorb so much before the ground becomes saturated. if the clay is really close to the surface and you decide to have raised beds then you will only need to clear rectangular sections of your choice of size, add raised borders and add top soil and manure in it. this will increase the gap from the clay the raised beds surface, stopping your crops getting damaged from excessive water.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 13:06 »
Well in on getting your plot.

It's not THAT weed infested all things considered.  What I did when I got mine, around the same time of year as you actually, was strim everything back then used Roundup weed killer on everything.  At the same time I drew a plan of what was to go where on a crop rotation basis, listed veg I wanted to grow and started a host of things in pots. Few weeks later I got a few of the lads around for a days digging, just bribed them with a throwaway BBQ and some ale.  I then planted out what I had potted up.  Or if you cant clear it all at once you can just clear a bit, plant a bit and so on.

I would probably skip the strimming and weed killer if I was you and just get clearing the rubble and digging - once the water recedes that is.  I didn't add anything to the soil in my first year as it had been unused for five years hence I reasoned any missing nutrients would have been replenished.  Ended up with a bumper crop.

I agree what what's already been said about raised beds though.  If the plots prone to flooding its a consideration.  Ask other plot holders.

Best of luck with it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 13:11 by Wavertree Red »
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 13:22 »
water looks fine to me. Just surface stuff.

Spoke to my dad this morning he says lots of plotholders on his site are underwater.

But because he did his winter digging (where obviously others havent) he is not swamped. The rain has found its way beneath the surface.

try sticking a few forks into the wet areas to see if the water will go down some.

good luck with the plot
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 13:23 by domw001 »

ionkar

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 23:24 »
congrats on your new plot  8)

As your land is water logged it would be interesting to see how far down you need to go to find clay. the worst i've seen is just under 30cm to find solid clay. if water logged ground is common in that area in heavy down pour then it would be advisable to look into making raised beds. clay doesn't absorb rain water that well so the top soil can only adsorb so much before the ground becomes saturated. if the clay is really close to the surface and you decide to have raised beds then you will only need to clear rectangular sections of your choice of size, add raised borders and add top soil and manure in it. this will increase the gap from the clay the raised beds surface, stopping your crops getting damaged from excessive water.

Guau, thanks a lot for the advice!!! A lot to learn!!!

ionkar

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 23:31 »
Well in on getting your plot.

It's not THAT weed infested all things considered.  What I did when I got mine, around the same time of year as you actually, was strim everything back then used Roundup weed killer on everything.  At the same time I drew a plan of what was to go where on a crop rotation basis, listed veg I wanted to grow and started a host of things in pots. Few weeks later I got a few of the lads around for a days digging, just bribed them with a throwaway BBQ and some ale.  I then planted out what I had potted up.  Or if you cant clear it all at once you can just clear a bit, plant a bit and so on.

I would probably skip the strimming and weed killer if I was you and just get clearing the rubble and digging - once the water recedes that is.  I didn't add anything to the soil in my first year as it had been unused for five years hence I reasoned any missing nutrients would have been replenished.  Ended up with a bumper crop.

I agree what what's already been said about raised beds though.  If the plots prone to flooding its a consideration.  Ask other plot holders.

Best of luck with it.

Thank you very much!!! Good advice!!! I let you know how it is going!!

ionkar

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 23:34 »
water looks fine to me. Just surface stuff.

Spoke to my dad this morning he says lots of plotholders on his site are underwater.

But because he did his winter digging (where obviously others havent) he is not swamped. The rain has found its way beneath the surface.

try sticking a few forks into the wet areas to see if the water will go down some.

good luck with the plot

Thanks!!!

xx
Having to start all over again.......

Started by prestongirl82 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:20
by Ema
xx
what to start now

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 10:15
by DD.
xx
Help!! Where do i start?

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:55
by richyrich7
xx
What can I start on now??

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 23:01
by Zippy

Page created in 0.836 seconds with 37 queries.