A question on chives

• 5 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
A question on chives
« on: May 01, 2012, 14:11 »
Hellooo. I've sown chives in the greenhouse, they've sprouted and are a couple of inches tall. Is each 'sprout' a separate plant? Actually, I know they're separate plants but do you transplant them in bunches like lobelia or will they grow into multiple stems by themselves? Confused? You will be...  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

mattwragg94

Re: A question on chives
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 14:17 »
i transplant mine in bunches ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 14:18 »
each stem is indeed one plant same as 'proper' onions, but you usually plant ia clump :D

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 14:21 »
If you sow them close together you can pick up a little pinch of seedlings and transplant them like that. It helps them to hold each other up. You can do this with celeriac etc which are also tiny.

They are individual plants, but like basil and coriander you get from the supermarket, they are grown on close together so it looks like one big plant.  You can separate out your plants as they get bigger and grow them on as individual plants or lift and divide when they're more robust. You only ever need sow one lot as you'll have them forever  :D

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 14:38 »
Excellent... thank you (as always). I guess I should have sown in clumps then eh? Hey ho, it'll be fun pricking them out individually and transplanting in clumps... that's my weekend sorted  ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 15:06 »
Depending on what sort of container you've sown them in I'd just slice them up like a cake and plant the individual "slices" in the soil - they'll soon clump up and as has already been said it's not the sort of plant you should ever need to sow twice!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Chives

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:14
by pushrod
xx
Chives

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 17:16
by WG.
xx
chives

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2019, 10:52
by New shoot
xx
Moving chives

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 23:47
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 38 queries.