Chervil

• 5 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Chervil
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:38 »
Has anyone ever grown the herb chervil? I find it's impossible to buy anywhere, and even the seeds have been tricky to get hold of, but it's such a delicious herb! I have some small plants that I've now grown from seed, but the leaves around the edges have been turning pink...anyone know why that might be?

allotmentann

Re: Chervil
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23 »
Hi Kajazy I am having my first attempt at growing chervil this year. The seeds have germinated pretty easily, but the plants are still very small so I am not sure what will happen to them next. I have never even eaten chervil, having never seen it for sale near me, so I am hoping that I like it! (I have a feeling that it was growing on my plot, I had plants that looked like chervil and smelled like a herb, but no one was able to identify it, so I dug it all up! It would be just like me to find out after going to the trouble of growing it from seed,  that it was chervil!). I hope someone knows what is happening with yours, it sounds very strange - but quite pretty! :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:15 »
Chervil is lovely and is easy to grow from seed. Follow the instructions on your seed packet and all will be well

It has a mild flavour and is a good addition to the salad bowl.  I prefer the more robust flavour or coriander and flat leaf parsley myself but for those with more delicate tastebuds  chervil is a good one to grow  :)

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41 »
Just a quick word of warning to Allotmentann - chervil looks very like HEMLOCK  :ohmy: so don't pick anything in the wild that looks like chervil....! Only pick chervil you have grown from seed yourself!

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 17:44 »
Well good job I did dig it all up then! ;) Although I confess to trying a bit as it smelled so nice! Why do so many things seem to look like hemlock?!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 18:59 »
I grow it from seed, but usually get a pot from the garden centre till it gets going. Lovely with fish and vegetables, and I add it to herb butter when I grt a glut of soft herbs, and freeze ready for use over winter.

xx
Chervil herb

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 18:39
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.557 seconds with 36 queries.