Bantam breeds - recommendations

• 1 Replies

Pixiewish

Bantam breeds - recommendations
« on: April 29, 2012, 17:19 »
Hi all

We were thinking of getting pekin bantams as our first chickens as from all we had read they seemed suitable for our needs:

smaller therefore require slightly less space
easier for our toddler to handle
in theory less destructive due to their feathered feet (or so we have read)

However, having been to see a local backyard chicken keeper today she suggested they might be more work than we had imagined due to their feathered feet getting muddy and needing cleaning more than a standard non-feathered footed chicken would.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to other bantam breeds that might suit us.  We are not too bothered about egg laying as they will mainly be kept as pets so the eggs are just a bonus.

Also do you find you often have to clean chicken bums? This was something she mentioned she had to do fairly often and I have to admit it wasn't something I had really considered as anything more than an odd occassion kinda job??

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bantam breeds - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 18:57 »
I have 2 Partridge Wyandotte Bantams and they are lovely birds.  They weren't handled by their previous owner so they are quite wary at the moment. 

Both went broody so I bought some eggs for them to hatch so now have 6 Welsummer Bantam chicks and 5 Light Sussex Bantam chicks.  Both Mums are doing a brilliant job and are very protective.  I am looking forward to them growing and getting to handle them more to get them used to humans (if it every stops raining that is).

Although I love my original hens (4 Black Rocks and 2 Bovan Goldlines) I will stick to Bantams in the future.  Their eggs are smaller but I really like the Bantam egg it seems to have less white.

The mucky bum should not be a long term problem.  It could be down to what they are fed, whether they have been treated for worms or have another ailment.  Someone put a tip on here for after bathing and drying putting a smear of vaseline on the feathers under the bum.  This stops any poo sticking but normally they have clean bums and look after themsleves.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Bantam breeds

Started by chloe on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 19:48
by joyfull
xx
Recommended Bantam Breeds, Old English Game?

Started by basildog on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 07:30
by basildog
xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
best breeds

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 01:12
by princesspoultry

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 36 queries.