Raspberry Growing Help!

• 7 Replies

hereshoping

Raspberry Growing Help!
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:36 »
Hi,
I have an allotment plot that I took over last May, in about August I think it was I brought a Raspberry (bush/tree?) that I planted in the middle of a row. I was told I could dig them up in November and replant as there was about 6 in 1? Does that make sense!? And of course, I never got round to it, I know the plot next to me had beautiful raspberries last year as he let us pick them for 10 days whilst he was on holiday and its one thing I wanted for our plot this year, so my question is, can I do it now? Dig up and replant each one a little bit apart from each other? I can see how next doors look and I need to get  mine the same in time if I can?!
Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!!
Helen

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry Growing Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:41 »
given the weather is still like March I'd say yes, do it quickly though - but bear in mind you will have to water them if proper summer weather ever arrives! - because they are shallow rooted.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44 »
Yes it makes sense, if you've bought a pot with a few canes in normally you separate the canes before you plant.  

It's getting late for moving them, but I'd give it a go. Lift a big root ball up and gently try to tease apart. If the soils dry I'd swish or soak them round in a bucket of water, that really seems to help separate roots out.  Replant at their proper spacings and water them well in, keep them well watered. A good soaking every few days rather than a splash everyday  
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumbley joe

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:17 »
we bought a couple of raspberry canes the other year and now they are growing well but at the base there are loads of shoots coming up. am i right in thinking that as in a previous post on this thread you should dig the cane up in the autumn, split the canes and replant them?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:20 »
Hi Joe, these are suckers from the original plant,  my understanding is that you can simply dig these up, cutting them away from the main plant with some root attached and move them to a new location.  You don't have to dig up the parent plant at all.  I have just done this on my plants and so far it's all good.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33 »
we bought a couple of raspberry canes the other year and now they are growing well but at the base there are loads of shoots coming up. am i right in thinking that as in a previous post on this thread you should dig the cane up in the autumn, split the canes and replant them?

Ok if their right next to the base then leave them they will be your fruiting stems for this/next year depending on variety, if they are 4" or more away then I would leave them to grow till they go dormant in the Autumn, then transplant them to form a new bush. Cut back to about 6 buds when you move them. You could move them now I just prefer to give them extra time to establish their own root system more

hereshoping

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 13:03 »
Hi,
Thank you everyone for your replies, so I will move them as soon as I can get up there (damn rain!) do you think I could expect raspberries this year??

Thanks!

mumbley joe

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 18:40 »
thanks as well for all the replies

xx
raspberry

Started by redjane11 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 18:08
by gobs
xx
raspberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 06:48
by m1ckz
xx
raspberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 13:51
by Goosegirl
xx
More raspberry help!

Started by greenasgrass on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 20:51
by greenasgrass

Page created in 1.507 seconds with 30 queries.