your thoughts please re lifting broody hen and feeding

• 11 Replies

rosie14

Hi all I set Mama hen on her fostered 12 eggs last night and she has taken to her move well.

When I checked on her first thing and again at midday I could see she had not been off of the nest as the corn was in no way disturbed (I levelled it so I could tell!) I gently lifted her with her feathers ruffled but not with too much protesting on her part to the opposite end of the brooder and she ate but did not drink. I left her and within minutes she had returned herself to the nest and rolling the eggs under her comfortably again - so fantastic to watch :)

She had not been up again at 5.30pm when I popped out on her to lift her so did. I put her in the garden and popped some water, corn and layers down which she ate but did not drink again. She ran around did a huge popp and that was that. She settled again as before but I took the water to her but had to put it right to her beak for her to drink and it was only a little, I didn't force her beak in but as good as to get her to drink.

Should I leave her be re the water? Also whay should I feed her. She has already been sitting for a good week or so and requiring lifting during that period.

Your thoughts would be welcome-am I just fussing!!!! thanks 

kegs

Re: your thoughts please re lifting broody hen and feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41 »
I've only used an incubator so I can't help I'm afraid.  My gut reaction and from having read other threads, is that you're doing the right thing by lifting her off and making sure she eats and drinks.  Hopefully someone will be along soon to answer your query.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 13:03 »
Keep lifting her off a couple of times a day and putting her in the garden so she can eat, poo, and stretch her legs for a bit. If she's thirsty she'll drink when you lift her out. She won't stay off the eggs for long and they will be fine. Don't disturb her for the last day before they are due to hatch, you could put a bit of food and water in the broody coop for the last day but she probably won't get off to eat. Hens do lose a lot of weight while they are sitting.  Good luck.

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 20:02 »
thanks for your replies  :)

she came out this morning and I'm not sure she drank at all again. This afternoon when I let her out to run round the garden like a headless chicken (no joke it's so funny to watch her as she does the same each time!) she drank heaps and heaps of water once she had had her funny 5 minutes and pooped! She must have been really thirsty.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 22:29 »
I've always left my hens to their own devices when they are broody - they all lose some condition but as long as you provide opportunities for food and water they will look after themselves.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 22:32 »
after having a hen poop all over her eggs when left to her own devices I now always lift off at least once a day to prevent this happening.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 00:02 »
I must have been lucky to have well behaved hens.  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 20:29 »
I did try lifting them off the nest at first but found that the eggs tended to stick to their bare breast.  You have to be careful with this as they will get damaged if this happens and the egg drops. 

After that experience I left both of my broodys and just cleared the poo each day.  I kept an eye on the water and food levels and they were fine until a couple of days before hatch.  One started pooing whilst sat on the nest but it was outside of the nest so I just cleaned it away regularly.  I put chick crumb in their feeders at this point and water close to the nest with pebbles in just in case of drowning.

Good luck with your hatch.   :D

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 22:17 »
Yes ANHBUC we lost an egg that way as it was stuck to her bare skin, thankfully it was a dud one.

I thought mine wasnt coming out but i caught her a couple of times, wasnt until late morning and late afternoon but she did lap the garden at 90 mph and ate a few pellets, took in lots of water and back in. She was probably only out for 2 minutes.

The last couple of days i've been taking the lid off of the nest box and this seems to encourage her out of her own accord so less chance of the eggs sticking.

I've put a small pot of crumbs just inside the coop, tucked up in the corner out of the way (more to do with the weather spoiling it if left out) and she has been eating from it.

Spana

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 22:37 »
If i set up a broody in a broody coop, i just make sure she has food and clean cool water always available and leave her to it. 

The hens that go broody on a laid away nest i leave completely alone.  They usually come off at tea time when all the chooks get a wheat tea. They drink and poo making rosey noises all the time  then take themselves back to their hidden nests.  These hens walk out of the barns with huge broods, sometimes 15 chicks,  and most of them are small hens. 
They know how to do it, who am i to say do it differently  :D

rosie14

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 19:45 »
Hi all and thanks so much for your replies everyone. I've been lifting her first and last thing as she wasn't/isn't not getting off the nest otherwise (I level the corn each day after she settles on her nest again).

I do agree to leaving nature to it but my dad had a broody bantam die on her nest of starvation or dehydration or a mixture of both. I say this but who knows maybe there was another factor but who knows?? So on the side of caution I am lifting her and I think I will continue to do so for piece of mind tbh.

I really don't think I am causing her great stress in doing so, she fluffs up in warning but that's all, she is happy enough to let me lift her off and doesn't try and peck or such. My Orpington is doing exactly what Splash101's hen does and calms only once she has pooped...a relief no doubt!!

I just love spying on her settle on her nest again and rolling the eggs back underneath as to where she wants them, I don't think I'll ever tire of it   :D

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 22:17 »
The best way to lift a hen off her eggs is to make a basket of your hand and push it under her and lift like a forklift. This way if an egg is stuck to her chest you will feel it and it will roll off before you lift her out.

Best of luck.

Orchardlady.

xx
lifting broody or not?

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 21:36
by frenchliving
xx
feeding a broody

Started by SMD66 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 15:17
by janeheritage
xx
Feeding a broody

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 16:13
by Casey76
xx
Feeding a broody hen

Started by grinling on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 00:43
by Craigx

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 37 queries.