Rhodedendrons and soil

• 9 Replies

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
Rhodedendrons and soil
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:26 »
Does anyone grow these in a container? I was given a Rhododendron Purple Splendour as a gift and was wondering if I can use ericaceous compost alone when potting it up? Our soil round here is slightly alkaline so I can't put it in the ground.

The other option I was thinking about would ok to mix the compost with 1 part soil to say 3 parts acid compost just to add some body or would it be best just with the compost?

I'm also going to try and grab some coffee grounds later today to add in hopefully.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rhodedendrons and soil
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:45 »
I'd go with the ericaceous compost without the soil, personally.

You could always add some John Innes compost to the ericaceous mix if you wanted to give it more body - number 3 probably.  That should be neutral pH, I believe.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Agatha

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 16:07 »
I always use ericaceous compost on its own for them.  Someone once advised me to put a layer of pine needles in the bottom of the pot first - have tried this on some, but doesn't seem to make any difference...depends whether your old Christmas tree is still hanging around I suppose!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:53 »
If you regularly used an acid based feed for rhod's, azaleas etc would this counter act the soil ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57 »
It does make some difference, but if the soil is very alkaline then it may well be insufficient and the plant will get poor growth and yellowing leaves
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

loobs61

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12 »
Hi I have a rhoddy in a large pot, about 3 years old now, looks great very healthy, but no flowers this year, flowered early but only sparsly  (last october ) I guess this weather is to blame, looking forward to bumper blooms next year tho.  pure erucacious soil, no mix, but I do feed.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 13:10 »

Rhododendrons, the only container they should be in, is a skip.  I see the Lake District Wardens are starting to fight back against this weed. :mad:

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44 »

Rhododendrons, the only container they should be in, is a skip.  I see the Lake District Wardens are starting to fight back against this weed. :mad:

Cheers,     Tony.

I think it's Rhododendron ponticum that's causing the problem, so please don't chuck my non-ponticum ones in the skip  :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 14:09 »
Rhodos are a bit demanding in that yes, they prefer ericaceous soil, they dislike soggy feet so planting them in a bit of a mound or slope is ideal, they need lots of water ( :wacko:), and they set buds in the fall so if hard frosts catch them, that's the flowering gone for the next year. They also suffer badly from windburn so need a sheltered spot and they prefer dappled shade rather than full sun. A few will prefer the odds, but the majority need the above.

I used to add sulphur powder and pine needles twice yearly to my rhodos and I also had to water weekly since we get less rain than the UK, but frosts kept nipping the buds and the plants didn't do well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 17:47 »
I feed mine with azalea slow release food once they have finished flowering --- seems to work  :)

xx
Bad soil

Started by Mr. Potato head on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 15:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Top Soil

Started by Coin on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 21:53
by TheChilliMan
xx
soil

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
TOP SOIL

Started by finster on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:22
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.