Egg sizes Bantam / Large birds

• 15 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
Egg sizes Bantam / Large birds
« on: April 26, 2012, 21:03 »
Hi all

Ok have read that 'pekins' are the true Bantam breed and other 'bantams' are just smaller versions of their true large breeds.
Now does that means their temperments remain the same ? Also does anyone know the egg laying capabilities compared to large breeds ( do they lay same amount ) and also how small are the eggs ? ???

MMM can be very mind boggling - just when you think you have covered almost everything !!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 21:15 by Mega »

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Re: Egg sizes Bantam / Large birds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23 »
we have two bantams (not sure of exact breed) they lay one egg per day (like bigger hens) one bantam is smaller and younger her eggs are white in colour and only a bit larger than a ping pong ball! the larger hen are around 50cm from tip to bottom. Does that help!

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:03 »
Thank you Frenchliving

Thats does help lots  :)  So if we decide on Bantams when baking cakes you class their eggs as 'small' not medium  :D

Thanks

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 14:09 »
if i am baking and it asked for 3 eggs I put an extra one in, if it asked for 4 I put an extra 2 in! im sure you will be able to judge it!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 14:12 »
With the bantams we've had in the past, yes the eggs are smaller, but the yolks don't seem much smaller than an ordinary hens eggs, you just don't get as much white.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 14:41 »
we have two bantams (not sure of exact breed) they lay one egg per day (like bigger hens) one bantam is smaller and younger her eggs are white in colour and only a bit larger than a ping pong ball! the larger hen are around 50cm from tip to bottom. Does that help!

I want some of those eggs.  Half metre - Wow  :lol:    :tongue2:

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36 »
rofl!! sorry that should have been 50mm or 5cm, or 2"!

im sure i didnt mislead anybody! thanks

t

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:53 »
Ha ha - be nice though !!

Thanks for your advice  :)

Now we shall be getting 3 orpingtons - be they large or bantams.

I have read that they require 40cm of perch space each ( and I know perches should be above nest boxes ), but how high do the perches need to be ?

ThinK I have all my scibbled questions answered !!  I shall post new topic soon with all I have gleened from peoples & places to see if there are any glaring errors befoe we start to build !!

Thanks Eggcellent peoples  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 13:18 »
Orpingtons are big girls! Can you get them in bantam sizes?  I love Orpies, they are lovely birds.

Our perches are between 18" and 2ft off the ground.  Hopefully that should be fine for the Orpies, even if they are the large variety.  If they are the large breed, don't go too high because they are heavy and I'd worry about them hurting themselves if they flew off the perch a bit heavily.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 13:41 »
Thanks for that  :)

Yes I have someone who has 2 weeks old gold laced & buff large orpingtons and another who has the same in Bantam  :D 

I love all I have seen & read about them too  :)   

grinling

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 17:55 »
My bantam, if she ever lays again, tends to go broody. BIL has 4 bantams, 1 has chicks, another has gone broody. His warrens do not mix with the bantams, but my 2 large ones mix with Poppy. Yolk size all same.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 21:42 »
rofl!! sorry that should have been 50mm or 5cm, or 2"!

Boo - a half metre egg would have been awesome.  But not if the yolk was the same size.  unless you were making meringues!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09 »
oversized eggs are bad for chickens, they can cause prolapses or rips in the skin, break inside and lead to infections and possibly death and if they are double or triple yolkers then the hen is using up their egg supply (all hens are hatched with the amount of eggs predetermined - they are like a ribbon of eggs - and the hen will use up several in one go  :(.
I have a mix of true bantams, bantams and large fowl and if you get bantams that have a large fowl equivalent (therefore not true bantams) then the eggs aren't that much smaller  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 13:28 »
Thanks Joyful  :)

Pat4d

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 15:42 »
oversized eggs are bad for chickens, they can cause prolapses or rips in the skin, break inside and lead to infections and possibly death and if they are double or triple yolkers then the hen is using up their egg supply (all hens are hatched with the amount of eggs predetermined - they are like a ribbon of eggs - and the hen will use up several in one go  :(.
I have a mix of true bantams, bantams and large fowl and if you get bantams that have a large fowl equivalent (therefore not true bantams) then the eggs aren't that much smaller  :)

Firstly, sorry to 'hijack'. My 4 ex battery hens lay eggs from 35mm tall to one recently that is 65mm tall. This latest on is the biggest hen egg I have ever seen. Is this a natural thing or can feed etc be changed to ensure no dammage is done?

Regards,

Pat.

xx
Can a bantam successfully mate with a newly laying large fowl hen?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 13:12
by ANHBUC
xx
Culling Adult Cockerels or large birds

Started by kizza on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 11:42
by richyrich7
xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
house sizes.

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2008, 16:37
by karlooben

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.