This years cucumber..

• 19 Replies

Lardman

This years cucumber..
« on: April 23, 2012, 15:28 »
Musing over what to buy this year... (Im shopping at moles so the choice isn't huge)

Last years Carmen were nice but the seed are shockingly expensive and they had no lust for life, perhaps something like Iznik or Passandra would be a better option ? a full size cuke does take a while to eat.

I have space in the greenhouse and/or outside if that's a better option.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: This years cucumber..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 15:34 »
I always grow a short sized cucumber. 

"Mini Munch" is my favourite but I've also grown "Prima top" and "Socrates".  I'm growing Socrates again this year (very erudite ). :)

I grow in the cold greenhouse.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 15:49 »
Socrates for me to  :D
Thanks
Kris

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 15:51 »
My Passandra cukes died last year before delivering so much as a flower, but given the price of the seeds I shall be sowing the remainder this year with the relatively reliable Marketmore ridge cuke outdoors as a back-up (nothing wrong with them apart from having to get rid of the "bristles", and also quite short.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bappelbe

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 16:14 »
I have had Passandra for a few years now and had great success

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 16:15 »
I started off thinking I was going to do mini cucumbers, but when I saw the seed prices I changed my mind :) In the end I went for Early Burpless, which are cheap as chips (from eBay at least) and should be tough and good croppers. I saw the thing (was it Monty?) about just chopping them in half and leaving half on the vine to reseal itself, so in theory that should give me 2 mini cucumbers instead of one big one. I'm also trying some Crystal Apple outdoors, out of curiosity more than anything else, because I've never tasted this type of cucumber.

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 16:26 »
lidl had cheap seeds in, including cucumber. :nowink:
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 16:42 »
I cant grow cucumbers in the greenhouse, they just get red spider mite and die.  :(

As i use quite a lot of cu's as tortoise feed i'm trying  ridge cu Burpless Tasty Green this year.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 16:49 »
Mini Munch again for me, they were great in unheated greenhouse last year and couldnt keep up with the amount of fruit they produced-even with giving loads away.
Mind you they should be good at around a quid a seed!
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 16:50 »
Mini Munch & Carmen.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 16:52 »
Beth Alpha F1 for me again from the Jamie Oliver collection. Loads of seed for a good price and really tasty mini-cukes which did really well outside in pots. Also some crystal lemon as I've never tried them before.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 16:58 »
I have  Carmen, a greenhouse cue, in the end of season sale, it's supposed to be more cold tolerant - I think it may have to be this year ::)
Some Marketmore 76 ridge cues and some West Indian Gherkins, which you can also eat in salads.

My theory is that with 3 different types - I ought to succeed with at least one  ::)  :lol:

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 17:04 »
Trying out La Diva and Crystal Lemon in the greenhouse this year.  Can't remember what I grew last year (learnt to take notes on EVERYTHING this year!!) but they grew like crazy in the unheated greenhouse and they were delicious!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 17:05 »
I have  Carmen, a greenhouse cue, in the end of season sale, it's supposed to be more cold tolerant - I think it may have to be this year ::)

I just looked at my local long-term forecast and it's cheered me up a bit. We've still got another week of foul weather to go, but in the second half of next week the temps are supposed to be climbing to around or above average. Woo hoo :) And the overnight temps are definitely creeping up already.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 17:15 »
I checked several sites this morning right into mid may, and although they predict night temperatures that suggest no more frosts for us the daytime temperatures don't look at all promising  :(

I hope this is completely wrong  :unsure:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/ashford/tn24-8/may-weather/323723?monyr=5/1/2012

I'm certainly in no hurry to sow more tender stuff, just in case  :dry:

xx
If this was 200 years ago!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 13:24
by LivvyW
xx
It's only taken 14 years...

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 10:35
by surbie100
xx
Next years tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2022, 17:13
by New shoot
xx
Last years potatoes

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 08:49
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 39 queries.