Leeks

• 36 Replies

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
Re: Leeks
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 23:41 »
The way forward parttimer is you seed up your seed tray then transplant into individual modules when the leeks are at the crook stage, in doing this will minimize the check through root disturbance the plant will take, grow on in individual pots till your due to plant out. Once they are in the ground depends on the elements and feeding unless you are growing under plastic. hope this helps

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07 »
That's not going to help this time though, is it?

A lot of members have reported back with success using the deep seed tray method and carefully spaced seeds. That minimises disturbance - there is none!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15 »
Glad I saw this thread i've made the same mistake and sown my leeks in a shallow seed tray.  Time to move them on then methinks!!

Could also be the reason my onion seeds seem to have stalled I bet the roots have hit the bottom of the trays.

Live and learn  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57 »
A lot of members have reported back with success using the deep seed tray method and carefully spaced seeds. That minimises disturbance - there is none!

Mind you, the spacing didn't look to be very careful in John's tub, in his video about planting out leeks :) I followed his example this year and just chucked seed into a big deep tub.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 18:08 »
I was given some leeks which had been started off in a tray shallower than a standard seed tray.

They all did fine.  I really wouldn't bother transplanting unless really necessary.

[And I've had two years of failure with the cat litter tray method / using one of those blue plastic mushroom baskets with paper lining, but don't tell DD  ;) :lol: ]
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 18:09 »
That's not a cat litter tray!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 18:35 »
But it's deep and equally water retentive  :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 18:41 »
So, what's the variable?  :tongue2: :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 19:08 »
I think it's the method  ;) :lol:

Might resort to shallow tray next year  ::) :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 19:37 »

Mind you, the spacing didn't look to be very careful in John's tub, in his video about planting out leeks :) I followed his example this year and just chucked seed into a big deep tub.

Works just fine here -- two trays outside in the garden, one all posh and standing up(first ones planted) and one with just two leaves each that is looking a bit bashed in all the rain so am putting this one under cover outside until the wet weather passes.

Thanks for the tip a few years ago DD  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 21:44 »
The way forward parttimer is you seed up your seed tray then transplant into individual modules when the leeks are at the crook stage, in doing this will minimize the check through root disturbance the plant will take, grow on in individual pots till your due to plant out. Once they are in the ground depends on the elements and feeding unless you are growing under plastic. hope this helps
Sorry I missed this earlier.

Whats the crook stage?

This is quite a steep learning curve for me I'm fairly new to this growing from seed thing. I bought young plants last year (my first year with the plot).
Yer Tiz!!

Salmo

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 00:06 »
If you have planted them in shallow trays or modules and they have 2/3 leaves why not plant them in the ground. When they get pencil thick they can then be dibbed into holes.

I grow early leeks like that. The later leeks will be sown in a row directly into the ground as soon as the soil dries a bit. Sprinkle the leek seeds along the row, then sprinkle some spring onions along the same row. Both are treated the same way. Pull the spring onions when they are big enough (round leaves) and transplant the leeks (flat leaves) when they are pencil thick. Any excess leeks can be eaten as baby leels or put into salads.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 00:15 »
Sorry I missed this earlier.

Whats the crook stage?

This is quite a steep learning curve for me I'm fairly new to this growing from seed thing. I bought young plants last year (my first year with the plot).
The crook stage is when they haven't been up long and are doubled over, before they learn to stretch up (bit like me in the mornings  :lol:).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 06:41 »
It's actually a little bit further advanced than that Auntiemoogs. It when the tip of the leek, (or onion), is just coming out of the soil and is starting to straighten up.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 14:53 »
I know there will be a lot of disagreement about this but I swear by trimming the tops off regularly. I'm certain it helps to bulk them out.  ;)
Rachael

xx
leeks what next?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 18:24
by zazen999
xx
Leeks looking sorry for themselves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 22:08
by Elcie
question
leeks

Started by frederick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 16:08
by frederick
xx
Not my leeks

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 07:39
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 36 queries.