A new plot...

• 6 Replies

Nevthedigger

A new plot...
« on: October 27, 2007, 21:41 »
Hi all, glad I found this site, looks like it's going to be useful to me in the coming year.... hopefully years! I have a small back garden which I am planning on digging up this winter and planting with vegetables. Basically it's a rough grassed area at the moment. I simply plan to dig it over roughly before the frosts arrive, and let them do the work in breaking down the soil to make it easier to dig in the late winter. I plan to use no chemicals of any kind, and keep things as organic as possible. Any tips or hints for a beginner's first winter? (Nev stands back and hopes for a deluge................)

Spon

A new plot...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 21:50 »
Welcome, Nev.
Munty will be along soon with plenty of tips!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
A new plot...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 21:52 »
Yeah, if you don't listen to anyone else, you've GOT to listen to Munty!!!!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
A new plot...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 21:52 »
exactly what you have planned, Munty is no use when it comes organic  :wink:  Let nature do the work over the winter, get as much of the roots up as possible, the problem is now the colder wetter weather is here it will take a lot longer to rot down. What is the soil like, is it clay or sandy???
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nevthedigger

A new plot...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 08:16 »
The soil can be quite damp, but not too bad. I read somewhere that growing artichokes in the first year is a good thing... I have no idea what they taste like!  :lol:
When I was a kid my dad used to grow potatoes here with good success so spuds in one area might be an option.... Not too sure when I can start the digging as I have the builders in the house for the next 2 or 3 weeks and they are using the ground for storing things there. Looking forward to wearing the rust off the spade by the end of November.

gobs

A new plot...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:49 »
Hi Nev,

All you have is getting ready for the spring, turn and tidy and weed, etc.
Plan and order seeds.
You say it's grassy, it probably will  have a lot of worms and grubs in the soil, which will affect your first crops, especially roots,but they decrease with cultivation.

:D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

shaun

A new plot...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 08:54 »
hi nev you can start digging when ever you like,if the ground hasnt been used for veg then it might be a good idea to add some well rotted manure,
and it would be best to remove the grass 1st and stack it up in a corner of the garden cover it with a tarp and leave for 1- 2 years to rot down,once it has broken down you can return it to you veg patch.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
NEW PLOT

Started by ash777 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 10:42
by Elcie
xx
ANOTHER new plot

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 00:52
by Trillium

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 36 queries.