Rhubarb running to seed

• 26 Replies

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
Re: Rhubarb running to seed
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 16:59 »
160 sticks of rhubarb already?? Goodness...i take it you bulk ordered the bog rolls?

Seriously that's an impressive total....my champagne rhubarb is finally producing...i will be picking the first at the weekend.
Thinking of the Days

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 17:03 »
I've got to leave it unattended for a week now.

Any volunteers?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ggaylmer

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 02:18 »
I'm letting mine flower....quite a splendid sight.  Can you eat the flowers? I have plenty of fat rhubarb stalks to eat so I'm letting it have its day!  I'll report on what happens to future yields.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 05:24 »
Why are you risking future yields? You may have fat stalks now but the floqers will take a lot of energy from the plant.

I certainly wouldn't risk mine just "to see".

I don't like to see flowers on mine, but I supppose that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 08:45 »
I brought home 6 sticks the other day and they weighed 4 1/2 Lb one stick weighed over 1Lb 8) (coor talk about crumble)
Don't know what the variety is as it was already in the plot when I took it over 2 years ago. :D

Malcolm
The worm that turned

SocksOn

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 20:04 »
Ours have flowered too - I brought it in and put it in a vase (seemed a waste to throw but then I am odd :D)

It was from crown, this will be the second year I've had it - I've got it next to a small tree it could be lack of nutrients causing it to run to seed - will mulch and hope it stops

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 22:39 »
It's rarely lack of nutrients for rhubarb since their roots go down very very deep. Flowering and seeding is part of a plant's natural cycle, including rhubarb, and you let it flower at the expense of more edible stalks. We all have to rip out the flowering stalks and usually compost them since the stalks are hollow anyway and useless.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 17:13 »
A question was asked about flowering rhubarb on today's GQT on Radio 4.

One comment was made that it often happens when the plant is ready for splitting.  Obviously this isn't the case for new plants but might be worth considering for those of us with very established plants.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ggaylmer

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46 »
I'm glad I let my rhubarb flower....like nature taking its course.  My theory is that repeatedly cutting out flowering stalks will exhaust the plant more than letting it flower.  Only two heads formed and I have been picking stems quite normally as the seeds have matured.  The seeds are a lovely contrast of gold and pink. Rhubarb is not like brassicas which go to seed at the end of the season.  My rhubarb flowers early but continues to produce nice stems.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 18:25 »
It might be nature taking its course for reproduction purposes, but if you let them continually run to seed then the plant is putting all its energy into producing new plants, and not on building up its own energy reserves for future crops.  The pay off is weaker crops in future years.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 19:19 »
My rhubarb hasn't run to seed at all this year, whether it's down to all the manure I put on it last year or the fact it's been wetter I don't know.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 07:55 »
I suppose, like any flowering plant, it will flower better if it is sunny. Ours has been wonderfully productive as it seems to like all this wet.

xx
Turnips running to seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 22:34
by Donnay
xx
Brussel sprouts running to seed - eat 'em!

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 20:54
by jondav
xx
rhubarb from seed

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2021, 17:10
by moose
xx
Rhubarb From Seed?

Started by Locksie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 16:02
by mabel

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 36 queries.