poor weather

• 9 Replies

Anton

poor weather
« on: April 22, 2012, 13:24 »
Hello, fellow garderners.

It's quite cold for the time of year here in Belgium and it is raining day after day (doing so at this very minute). So after a bright start when I planted all my potatoes about three/fours weeks ago, all my onions and shallots and have sown my leaf beets, parsnips, carrots and beetroots, the only items showing any signs of (albeit feeble) life are the onions and shallots. Is everything likely to rot in the ground if the weather continues like this? I suppose the seeds wouldn't be so bad but the potatoes would be a disaster.

Anton

fatcat1955

Re: poor weather
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 14:37 »
Spuds will be fine as will most other crop's, just think that it will save you watering for a while and you will cheer up.

Anton

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 16:55 »
Thank you, Fat cat, on that positive note, I will go enjoy a beer, realising I don't have to go down to the allotment to water.

Anton

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 17:02 »
Hello, fellow garderners.

It's quite cold for the time of year here in Belgium and it is raining day after day (doing so at this very minute). So after a bright start when I planted all my potatoes about three/fours weeks ago, all my onions and shallots and have sown my leaf beets, parsnips, carrots and beetroots, the only items showing any signs of (albeit feeble) life are the onions and shallots. Is everything likely to rot in the ground if the weather continues like this? I suppose the seeds wouldn't be so bad but the potatoes would be a disaster.

Anton
Hi Anton I do not know how our weather in South Lincolnshire compares to Belgium but all my small seeds are taking along time to germinate ( spring onions, parsnips, beetroot, carrots)  like you my shallots are growing fairly well, the weeds are growing at a far greater rate than anything I have sown, my belief is that nothing really grows well until the night time temperature stays consistantly above a minimum  5 degrees C.
Retired but never short of a job.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13 »
Hullo there Abbey view, thanks for the reply. The temperature here is low 5 degrees and high eleven and set continue that way for the next week or so.

Anton

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 18:28 »
   Anton, Interesting our weather forecast for next five days is similar to the temperature you detailed additionally we can  expect rain showers every day for the forseeable future.
It would be interesting to compare weather for both our locations in the summer months

Anton

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 14:07 »
Well the temperature has gone up now (18 three days ago but  set to drop again) but it's still raining like mad with a couple of sunny intervals.

Anton

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 17:47 »
Monday was wonderful 15 c, it has been rain showers everyday since, today has been showers some very heavy with max temp 8c, forecast for Saturday night /Sunday morning is 1c.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 17:54 »
would spuds be ok if they'd spent a week under a foot of water? Mine had only been in for ten days and weren't showing yet. Was considering digging them up and transplanting them to our new plot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 18:03 »
Nothing ventured, unless you've got some nice shiny dry ones to go in anyway.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Advance advisory of poor gardening weather

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 09:26
by mumofstig
xx
cold weather for my poor spud seeds

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 11:19
by maxie
clip
poor, very poor

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 09:55
by sunshineband
xx
Poor show

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 07:26
by davel831

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.