Plant label reusing

• 25 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Plant label reusing
« on: April 21, 2012, 22:23 »
OK, as a self-confessed lazy gardener and a bit of cheapskate ;)  I need some help to recycle. 

I have emptied and sieved my compost heap and have a stockpile of retrieved plant tags as a result. 

I have bleached, vimmed (maybe showing my age here?), etc but some of the marker pen is still visible - any tips for cleaning plant tags for reuse?  Thanks all!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

solway cropper

Re: Plant label reusing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 22:27 »
I mark all my plant labels with a soft pencil....easy to rub off. Methylated spirits should remove marker pen.

I also make all my own labels from cut up ice cream tubs.

labels2.jpg

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 22:29 »
As a bit of a tight whatsit myself wet and dry sand paper works a treat, if I write them myself I always use pencile to write them out you can rub that out!
Yer Tiz!!

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 22:34 »
I am thankfully a charitable tight-wad, so I do use cut up milk cartons for my labels for my donated plants to the playgroup or allotment plant sales, but I have a stock pile for my own use that I bought in my richer years so will try your recommendations as they are new for me - as I say, I have only bleached and scrubbed but sanding and meths sounds good!  Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 22:49 »
I use the little pencil that comes with the labels and just rub it our with an eraser if it doesn't come off with a wash  :)

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 23:06 »
I use the little pencil that comes with the labels and just rub it our with an eraser if it doesn't come off with a wash  :)

I guess I have always liked my plant names to scream out at me!  I must have some of these pencils but have never used them.  Now I have had my eyes fixed and now have no money, maybe I need to review!  ;)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32 »
I used pencil with my first lot of seeds this year problem was though with being in the propagator and then being watered the pencil disappeared! I then tried a range of so called permanent marker pens and they disappear as well! Was thinking of pushing the boat out which for me is unusual ;) and buying one of those electronic plant labelers from Fothergills you can have one for a tenner if you are ordering seeds or plants at the same time. I am a bit of a techno geek so this appeals but then I also love the idea of the ice cream cartons and milk cartons, why can't I find a dam permanent marker that is permanent!!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:35 by PembsPanther »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27 »
Milk carton, CD marker.

Job done, new ones each year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19 »
I have tried the CD marker again it just seems to come off, I have ot however tried to use a different plastic as the label I will try the milk carton and cd marker pen today with some seeds that need sowing :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:43 »
I used pencil with my first lot of seeds this year problem was though with being in the propagator and then being watered the pencil disappeared!

That's very strange, cos I'm still digging up labels with pencil writing on from a couple of years ago  :wacko: that is cheap bought labels with the pencil that comes with them  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:44 »
Methylated spirits usually seems to remove the marker pen but the labels are usually so dirty anway I just scrub them in hot soapy water with a stainless steel scourer - it roughens up the surface a bit but polishing with brasso restores the shine (only kidding!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:49 »
I put mine in the dishwasher after rubbing the pencil off with an eraser, just once a year. The rest of the time they just get the eraser treatment. Pencil is the way to go. Cutting up plastic milk cartons of an evening is quite therapeutic  :wacko:

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 11:21 »
Write a number on them and then use a big bit of paper with a key on.  Can't say I like the small white plastic markers in the open ground, I prefer a short length of 2x1", unavoidable in seed trays though.

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 19:52 »
I use nail varnish remover and towel roll to get rid of permanent marker. Nice, quiet little job to do in a few spare minutes.
MUST BE ACETONE FREE or you will end up with melted plastic!!! (And a headache)
A bottle lasts me a year or two and it's cheap from somewhere like Savers or Wilkos.

noshed

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 19:55 »
99p shop
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
read the label!

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 11:53
by lazza
xx
what is this forgotten what it was I sowed and the label gone.

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:26
by kingdhesiii
clip
What plants. Didn't label them!!

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2020, 09:35
by Nobbie
xx
Reusing Old Growbags

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 14:24
by BostonInbred

Page created in 1.763 seconds with 38 queries.