Jalapeno Harvest - They Look Fab but no Taste????

• 66 Replies

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2007, 11:33 »

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 15:19 »
Unfortunately jalapeno varieties are becoming less hot because of the demand for milder varieties. Environment has a huge role in the development of capsaicin, if the climate is very mild, mild temps, plenty of water - no stress son the plant, they will be less hot. I hope this helps

Sorry to split hairs, or I'm just being a bit dense (again), this response Aidy is basically on the fence - isn't he saying that the jalapeno variety is being modified but also that the plant needs to be stressed, watered less and with higher temperature.

I'm totally lost on the who agrees with who debate but I still don't feel we have a definitive answer.  

By the way Peter, for halloween purposes I'm now calling you Muntster. :wink:

:)

muntjac

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 15:23 »
i dont agree with aidy on anything but that blackpool is wet and not sunny ......

the reason the chillies are not good is lack of sun and hot temps and no treats with fertiliser or manure juice  :)
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 16:10 »
Disagree with the hairy one above, Capsaicin is for the most part genetic, hence the reason they are being bred for a milder rather than hotter varity. Yes I as mentioned earlier in the post you can increase the heat by stressing the plant prior to harvest, most chilli plants need a average temp of at least 65 to grow and produce fruit, i still dont believe it was our summer that was at fault, as everybodys chilli would of been poor and mine werent and his above wernt ( munty speak)  so I still feel that it was the seed that was probably a variant or it was cross pollinated with something else to make it milder. Yes I agree, it was a bit on the fence.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 16:23 »
I also disagree with him, on this one, as Aidy rightly says.

Also, as the message says : genetics and conditions. Not just our plants were good, Pookey's other chilli is fine.

However, i think Munty is right about that cross-pollination would result in a bad seed not a bad pepper.

I think it was a mild variety of jalapeno seed that Pookey grew.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 16:29 »
By the way Mr Munty, re: the weather, this is taken from Fat Hens post on the other chilli post "This weekend I kicked them all out of greenhouse (thats why weather has got cooler ha!), cos was suffering attacks from we beasties, thought a few days in fresh air would do them good. I'll pop em back in if forecast is for really cold though it never usually happens here in Blackpool, just the withering wind to contend with."
So your wrong again mate  :wink:  it is sunny, it dont rain and it aint cold  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 17:36 »
All you guys with hot jalapenos (don't start) - when did you plant them out?

I had duff ones and planted them in april, transplanted them in June and have had them under plastic since September.

My new theory is that our normal outdoor weather is to blame and that some of us had them indoors for longer, so they had more heat.

gobs

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 18:27 »
Well, I'm not going to start, first I'm not growing  any jalapenos, second I'm not a guy. On the other hand I'm fairly hot (well, most of the time).

I, for one, am keeping them under plastic aaaaaaaaall summer, Nasturtium.

Sow March- April, plant out May -June, depending on development and weather.

They go into rich soil, fed fortnightly with type of tom feed you like to use.

Generous water requirement till stage of ripening fruit, frequent picking encourages more fruits, as with peppers you happily consume them green, so keep ripping. :wink:

That's all I do. Well, in a nutshell. :D

muntjac

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 19:09 »
sow in feb .plant on in bigger tubs in may feed feed feeed .. oh and add a drop water as welll.. and let them have a sun tan .no shading in the greenhouse  :tongue2:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 21:40 »
Pretty much as Munty says, I feed a slightly higher nitrogen feed until the flowers appear then switch to a potasium feed once the fruit start, I also give them a dose, 2 teaspoons to the gallon of epsom salts every two weeks, then if I want a hotter chilli stress them by not watering a few days before.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 23:07 »
gobs - I meant guys in the american team-building sense of the word, not the bloke sense. :) I've spent too much time in community projects and nurseries.(not the plant ones)

When I said plant out I meant outside without glass.  Did any of you guys/gals have hot chillis grown outside or did anyone have duff chillis grown under glass?

muntjac

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 23:09 »
i dont grow them outside they are a heat seeking plant   :wink:

Fat Hen

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 00:09 »
I split mine between greenhouse (with shade) and outside under kitchen windowsill.  Have to watch out midsummer as can get too hot very quickly.  Chillis are tropical forest plants, like moderate heat, and humidity, don't like being baked in sun (as someone else pointed out they like temps of around 65-75, that the canaries yr round, maybe I should live there) can get over 100+ very easily in midday sun and sheltered location, chillis wilt and pods get stress marks.

My Rocoto's, which have seen very little sun this yr, are Faff off hot, ask my partner who mistook one for a red pepper and made a sandwhich out of it. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 10:40 »
Well, in Hungary, we have this old saying, Peppers like shade, the shade of a hoe.

This sun scorching is intriguing to me. Last time home in August, it was 33+ every day, most of the day, 39 for three days, no clouds in sight, never seen a scorched pepper.

Yet I heard of this, what does bring it on then, lack of foliage, green house glass? :?  :?

gobs

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 11:04 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
gobs - I meant guys in the american team-building sense of the word, not the bloke sense. :) I've spent too much time in community projects and nurseries.(not the plant ones)

When I said plant out I meant outside without glass.  Did any of you guys/gals have hot chillis grown outside or did anyone have duff chillis grown under glass?

I know, Nasturtium, I'm sorry, this devil in me, could not resist. :lol:

I tried them outside without any shelter..............once. :wink:

And in the greenhouse, when it's very hot, they don't mind, had tomatoes shrivel, peppers were giggling. 8)

xx
I thought jalapeno but this is too hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 08:31
by Sharonx
xx
jalapeno peppers

Started by billycasper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 18:14
by billycasper
question
Jalapeno Chillies and Tomatoes

Started by Klaus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 18:18
by Elcie
xx
Jalapeno has just stopped growing - help!

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:57
by Mitsy

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 37 queries.