Jalapeno Harvest - They Look Fab but no Taste????

• 66 Replies

WG.

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 16:20 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Right.. pickling chillis.. Can I just bung them in whole into the vinegar? I don't want to take the seeds out etc...
I posted a recipe further up this thread  :wink:

Fat Hen

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 22:57 »
I've had same problem with my Jalepeno's (little or no heat), whereas other chillis i've grown have turned out as expected (though not many fruit).

So I reckon it's a combination of bad weather & poor quality seed.

I've also noticed that heat has varied within same pepper.  Taking a bite and thinking they're bland then next bite gives a little burn.

muntjac

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 23:57 »
my peppers are started in jan in the kitchen and they are hot im not one for chilli's myself but i have my son who is and he will eat an of them ,also have richard fire ass who eats raw rainbow and dorset naga as if they are toffee's  .mine are fine they are grown on an east to west lay out greenhouse lon the southern bay .toms on the other .cross pollination only changes a seeds viability not the crop it is in .so if you had 2 plants in the same house then maybe an insect will cross pollinate from one to the other but that will not change the parent plant ,the new seed when germonated and grown on may show differences only . i suspect it not enough sun and dry weather plus i suspect some didnt give a lime treat to the plant with some manure of chemical fertiliser before the flowers set
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 08:29 »
I am still waiting for the reply from my friend but from what I have read over the weekend the sun does not have any bearing on the amount of capsaicin formed, the plant uses capsaicin as a defence against being eaten so the amount of capsaicin is genetic for the most part, I have spent many an hour this weekend and no research says otherwise. my money still on seeds.

Edit a bit later: Just a thought, if it was the weather that stoped the formation of capsaicin then would it not affect all chillies grown this year in the UK, my Tabbasco's were as hot as any other year so that kind of blows the weather out.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

muntjac

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56 »
im with aidy .. but as they say blackpool blackpool in the sun ...... thats where all the nutters come from   :lol:  :lol:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 10:28 »
What happened??? there I was reading the post and I fell off me chair and that was it, opened me eyes with ppls around me saying I fainted  :lol:  must of been munty agreeing  :shock:

gobs

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 16:36 »
I will stand partly corrected, here is the reply with names and other bits  deleted of course.....
Unfortunately jalapeno varieties are becoming less hot because of the demand for milder varieties. Environment has a huge role in the development of capsaicin, if the climate is very mild, mild temps, plenty of water - no stress son the plant, they will be less hot. I hope this helps

thanks for writing

muntjac

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 19:21 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
I will stand partly corrected, here is the reply with names and other bits  deleted of course.....
Unfortunately jalapeno varieties are becoming less hot because of the demand for milder varieties. Environment has a huge role in the development of capsaicin, if the climate is very mild, mild temps, plenty of water - no stress son the plant, they will be less hot. I hope this helps

thanks for writing

NAHHHHHHH NAH NAHHHHH NAHHHHHHHHH. :tongue2:  :tongue2: told ya so ... blackpool nutters  :roll:

muntjac Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my peppers are started in jan in the kitchen and they are hot im not one for chilli's myself but i have my son who is and he will eat any of them ,also have richard fire ass who eats raw rainbow and dorset naga as if they are toffee's .mine are fine they are grown on an east to west lay out greenhouse on the southern bay .toms on the other .cross pollination only changes a seeds viability not the crop it is in .so if you had 2 plants in the same house then maybe an insect will cross pollinate from one to the other but that will not change the parent plant ,the new seed when germinated and grown on may show differences only . i suspect its not enough sun and dry weather ,plus i suspect some didnt give a lime treat to the plant and with some manure of chemical fertiliser before the flowers set

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 23:26 »
That's what I love about this site - I can ask the most difficult question and I get an answer without having to do any research myself!

Thanks Aidy for that one, it's a nurture over nature answer then.

Munty - who is Richard fire ass????????

muntjac

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 23:30 »
thats the boss at te farm carol .,. i made him some pickled onions and added loads chillies n he ate the chillies first

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 23:44 »
Well that explains that, but who's Carol?

muntjac

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 23:46 »
ok sorry susan lolo. been a long day ....... :roll:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 09:22 »
What do you mean nahh nahh naahhh Munty, you agreed with me, still think the seed was at fault.

muntjac

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 09:23 »
i agreed with ya about blackpool .... lol spiky haired wassuck   :lol:  :lol:

xx
I thought jalapeno but this is too hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 08:31
by Sharonx
xx
jalapeno peppers

Started by billycasper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 18:14
by billycasper
xx
Jalapeno has just stopped growing - help!

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:57
by Mitsy
question
Jalapeno Chillies and Tomatoes

Started by Klaus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 18:18
by Elcie

Page created in 3.048 seconds with 36 queries.