Jalapeno Harvest - They Look Fab but no Taste????

• 66 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: October 27, 2007, 20:58 »
I have been growing and nurturing my jalapenos since the end of february (from seed), all the plants look fantastic and are dripping in green fruits (greenhouse grown).  I harvested some a month back but they had no flavour so I left them on the plant to develop and harvested them all yesterday as it's getting cold.  I have just spent hours chopping up hundreds of jalapenos but when I tasted them they are so mild they are more like sweet peppers!

I can still use them in stirfries etc and treat them as peppers but it's so dissapointing!  I put so much work into them - where did I go wrong??

Jalapenos are so expensive £1.20 for a small jar, I thought I would keep myself stocked for the year and the effort would save me a fortune!!!!! DAMN :roll:
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 21:26 »
I've had exactly the same problem.  I'm looking forward to hearing any replies.  I think I got my seeds from B&Q.

Sally A

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 21:28 »
I've bought these for next year........hope it was just the cool summer that caused the problem and not a general problem with seeds currently on the market.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 21:50 »
Try pickleing them in things like cider vinegar, they are great picklers, I use allsorts of combinations with them and use them all year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 21:51 »
But I thought that jalapenos were quite hot Aidy???

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 21:55 »
Yep around a 7 on the scoville, and I think the pickleing may make them a little hotter but they go great with butties and salads and stuff. Just slice them into decent slices, and drop them into the pickle liquid for a few seconds then bottle them.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 22:00 »
Can you expand on that pickling recipe Aidy.  I have loads and they are not as hot as expected either.  Even my hot cayenne are pretty tame.
Cheese makes everything better.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 22:04 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Yep around a 7 on the scoville, and I think the pickleing may make them a little hotter but they go great with butties and salads and stuff. Just slice them into decent slices, and drop them into the pickle liquid for a few seconds then bottle them.

Now you sound like Munty, you know :D  :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 22:04 »
Try http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=41551#41551

I can't see how it would improve tastless ones though.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 22:08 »
All of you having no heat in your chillies is somewhat intriguing, not that I've ever grown jalapenos or encountered the problem.

Yes, all Capsicums need a lot of heat and daylight to grow well and we had a rubbish summer but still I'm wondering, if you lot had a rubbish batch of seed. :wink:

But then, of course waiting for anybody who knows to tell what can prevent capsaicin(I don't know the English spelling) formation in peppers. :shock:

Sally A

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 22:13 »
Probably a daft question,,,,,,,but here goes, would it be worth tasting one of my seeds for planting next year to see if it has any kick....seems a waste of space and effort if a whole years packets are a duff batch.

I got the T&M 1/2 price Jalapeno summer Heat F1 packeted for year end Sept 07, sp presumably as this was in June/July when I bought them they would have been what was on the shelves at the end of 06 start of 07.

gobs

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 22:16 »
Pepper seeds should be viable for about 4 yrs, but then they don't tell you when it was harvested do they, only when it was packed. :wink:

Tasting sounds the best you can do to me. :D

There are no daft questions only daft answers. :roll:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 22:17 »
In a word yes sort of, the hottest part is the ambilical, this is the bit that conects the seed to the fruit, that is where most of the capsiacin is held, so if you have a hot seed then there is pretty much a good chance you will have a hot pepper, the biggest problem is that many ppl like to grow more than one variety in the greenhouse and you are likely to get cross pollination which will affect the fruit, it is best to decide on one type and grow it. I will dig out my pickle recipes and post them but the cider vinegar was my fave.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 22:22 »
That's a good point actually, the issue of cross-pollination, which can happen if there are dif open pollinated, non-sel-pollinating verieties present.

Never encountered it, though. :roll:

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 22:23 »
Would you say Aidy that the lack of heat / sun would have made the Jalapenos less hot?  I'd be able to relax about the seed issue if I knew that... :)

xx
I thought jalapeno but this is too hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 08:31
by Sharonx
xx
jalapeno peppers

Started by billycasper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 18:14
by billycasper
xx
Jalapeno has just stopped growing - help!

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:57
by Mitsy
question
Jalapeno Chillies and Tomatoes

Started by Klaus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 18:18
by Elcie

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.