Successional Planting (aka keeping the beds full through the year)

• 11 Replies

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
I know this has been discussed on various other threads but I'm struggling to make sense of all the seperate comments so.....

Last year after my crops finished I just left the space empty or popped in a lettuce or sprinkled on some green manure seeds.   This year I'd really like the beds to be in use as much as possible. 

At the moment the beds are:

Alliums - Autumn planted garlic & onions plus space for the leeks
Brassicas - just planted out some cauli, cabbage, broccoli, kale,sprouts, cabbage
Peas n Beans - Peas and broad beans sown, space for runner/french
Roots - sown carrots, parsnips, space for celery, beetroot, coriander, lettuce, spinach

Potatoes, fruit etc are all in pots or seperate bits of the garden.

I now understand that my autumn planted onions and garlic will be ready mid/late summer - but what do I do then? Can I plant some late beans in there or will that mess up the crop rotation? 

I started some late Onion radar seeds - maybe they could go in the empty garlic/onion space?  Or will they be too big?   Sooooooo, confused  :blink:

Kleftiwallah

Vegetables are not restricted to being sown one or two days a year.

Do a bit of research and find out how long it (usually) takes a crop to come to maturity from seed.   About 1/4 of the way through that lifespan plant more of the same, so when your first crop is coming to an end you have more of the same to provide you with more food.

I've been gardening for "a wee while" and I still have gluts and dirths so don't get too emotional about it.    Look at the problem (or adventure) bit by bit, crop by crop.

Hope this helps?    ::) Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Hi snailstogo

Sounds like you are doing really well, and echoing everything I am thinking.  My first year too and I feel I am sowing everything slightly wrong but just muddling through and when I speak to my other newbie neighbour at allotment they are on their second year and are still similar to me.  So think it takes practice, and if you dont ask you dont know as the seed packets and books are great, but the seed packets can be vague and only so much info you can take in with the books.  Good luck, hope you it goes well

snails2go

Tony - the 1/4 way through idea sounds great - I've been thinking of sowings in 2 week blocks really but that grinds to a quick halt when I run out of space.

I'm thinking another gardening spreadsheet may be in order along with another evening of studying the seed packets!

AmandaLouise - it's all so very vague - still, this forum is fab for helping us newbies along our veg growing way and it definitely keeps me a little bit sane too  :wacko:

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
I found that I can get some Sweetcorn in the bed when the Winter Onions come out, as long as I start them in May and grow them on in pots.
Others that you can planted later are Dwarf French Beans, Leeks, Chard and I'm sure alot more.
Don't get too hung up on crop rotation, just don't put Brassicas in the same bed 2 years running. 

snails2go

Oooh now I've been wondering what to do with the free sweetcorn seeds I acquired from a link on another thread - excellent! :D  Thank you!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
If you grow them on in big pots you can plant small squashes or courgettes  after your peas.

viettaclark

I'm putting over-wintering brassicas (cabbage/kale/brussels/psb) in when the garlic comes out in July and the leeks will go in to the spring cabbage bed.
Swiss chard and perpetual spinach is soon finishing in one bed and starting in another to go through the winter. More carrots will go in to the finished bed. Autumn cabbage will go in when the early carrots are finished and then the garlic again in November. Winter lettuce goes in as the beetroot come out. Parsnips are there for months and are followed by early peas/b.beans.
I can usually fill any bare bits quite easily if I've got stuff waiting in trays or 3" pots and late direct sowings of beans/sugarsnaps work quite well.
Last year I did 2 sowings of black kale and the late one didn't grow much but I left it in. It went beserk in February and we've been eating it for weeks and it hasn't bolted yet.
Only problem I have (apart from slugs/birds etc) is making sure crops that get hit by insects (leeks/carrots/brassicas) are under debris netting. I only net half of my raised beds because some crops need pollination and it's such a chore to move the netting set-up.
Because of this my crop rotation tends to be a bit erratic!!!
You will soon slip into a pattern of sowing/planting/cropping and find your own system.
It's taken me years and I've learned not to sow too early and to do a couple of sowings so the season is extended.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
This is my first year of trying to grow properly and I must say you lot seem really organised, I wish I was half as organised as you :( At the moment I just seem to be sowing every seed I see and then have no plan at all really about where everything is going when it is germinated, I am sorting the problem as it comes to me lol not easy!

Also I plan on having 4 raised beds but so far have only completed 1 of them, the digging for the second one commences today so hopefully over the next couple of days I will have 2, the other 2 are going to be 4 or 5 weeks away as there is a wee bit of work needs doing before they can be built and filled.

I really need to start writing things down and get some sort of a plan together, I managed to get some new potato's in yesterday so that made me smile :) Still got loads of sowing to do which will happen today but I must confess I have not thought for a moment about crop rotation or what is going in next when something finishes, I do not even know when things will finish!

Ohh well the learning curve seem to be getting bigger ad bigger and bigger :)

kentishgal

Sounds abit like my plan Pembspanther..Haphazard!! Its my first year too and I only have 2 of my 4 raised beds up and running (already waiting to see if the cabbage, carrots, onions, beetroot, spinach, lettuce, radish and spring onions develop!).
Ive also got a large 2ft x 4 ft tray under a cloche where my leeks and brassicas can grow so I can use their bed for quick salad crops until they are big enough to transplant). Im splitting my beds in the square foot technique so I can stagger sowings and keep juggling crops when I see a space!!

compostqueen

I wouldn't worry about crop rotation at all. I work on the basis of trying not to have the same veg in succession, and I take photos to remind me of what went where  :)

People are probably less organised than you think but maybe have trays of various veggies waiting in the wings looking to fill gaps as they arise, stuff that they've grown from seed or bought in.  There are some seeds which are very fast growers and you can use them to fill gaps

A good list to start would be one that lists only the veg you like to eat. If you're short of space you could maybe omit growing say main crop spuds or peas (which are cheap in the shops)  Once you have a good idea of what you want to grow then check the back of the packets and arrange the packets in sowing order and maybe divide them thus.  All good fun for a rainy day in the shed with a cuppa tea

Remember this is supposed to make you happy, so just hang loose, relax and enjoy it. that's an order by the way  :D

snails2go

Loads of great suggestions.  I'll be re-sorting my seed packets (again...again...again) and seeing what I can plant later.

Posted by: compostqueen
Remember this is supposed to make you happy, so just hang loose, relax and enjoy it. that's an order by the way 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Successional Planting Beans

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 16:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Successional Planting ~ how do you make the most of your plot?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 22:26
by rhysdad
xx
My new veg beds full of veg

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 20:14
by sclarke624
xx
Succession sowing AKA how do I keep the beds full

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 22:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.606 seconds with 38 queries.