Should I fill in the moat around my allotment?

• 15 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Should I fill in the moat around my allotment?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 21:16 »
I personally would follow your plan to create raised beds adding organic matter as mentioned as it will stop you treading down the soil on the beds but in the area where your lakes have appeared, consider planting perennial thirsty crops such as rhubarb and jerusalem artichokes, even a cranberry or two - they will love the extra moisture. 

After many years battling with different garden conditions, I have come to the conclusion it is far better to work with the soil conditions than try to change them.  The previous plotholder clearly worked hard and has made the plot more manageable, but I think it will take years and years to change this drainage situation (the plot opposite me has been fighting her flooded plot for 10 years trying to dig organic matter in to improve it, yet it floods most winters) - you are far better finding a way of working with it and using it to your advantage.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Swedes, will they fill out?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2022, 17:21
by Kleftiwallah
xx
How to fill a raised bed.....

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 21:03
by SG6
xx
Need to fill the gaps

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:34
by mumofstig
xx
Have space must fill!!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 19:30
by Glen

Page created in 1.301 seconds with 36 queries.