Which way should pop hole/door face

• 9 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
Which way should pop hole/door face
« on: April 19, 2012, 22:34 »
Hi

We are in the process of designing a coop for our garden which will either free stand within a fox proof run or have a fox proof run attached to it. Maybe design one on a wheelbarrow so can move it around the run also ?!  :D

We are trying to gain some info on which way the pop hole / door should open ? Also if the run is secure caould we leave the door open all the time ? :unsure:

We are looking at getting some orpingtons or Plymouth Rocks as they seem to have lovely docile temperments and would be better for our young children. :happy:

Any advice gratefully appreciated. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Which way should pop hole/door face
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:33 »
I don't think the pop hole direction matters as I have had mine facing all 4 points of the compass and the hens have still slept in them along with 8 hens sleeping in the trees at the moment.
What mesh are you building the run with? Will you be digging down at least 12" (30cms) to prevent foxes and rats burrowing in? Or putting a skirt around the base of at least 12". Will the run have a roof on it?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:34 »
I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules on this but I would prefer a door to open outwards and have the facility to secure it to stop it flapping around and bumping the chooks. If it opens inwards you cannot tell if there is a chook in the way! ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

splash101

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48 »
if it absolutley fox proof you could leave it open but you would need to consider rats and mice (mice in particular only need the tiniest of holes to get through and would get in through the wire)

perhaps consider a door that slides to open so in the future you could purchase an automatic door opener and i think these operate on a slidey door
(you will need to check on the details of that and which way it slides i.e. up and down or side to side) 

As you are still in the design process, ask lots of questions as it may avoid the "if only i'd done that to start with" quotes and endless trips to the diy store
;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:00 »
I wouldn't worry about mice - chickens love to eat them (along with frogs)  :), however, foxes, mink, rats, stoats and weasels are a problem  :(

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05 »
Hi
 Thank you for all your replies.

Yes we are still in design process, we are looking to use 1"x1" 19gauge or 12 gauge galvanised wire mesh.
These we were going to build in panels and will be 6' high. The run is to have a roof of trellis or struts and will be covered with the mesh too.
We have wall edges on 3 sides and are going to screw the panels to either the inside or on top of the walls and on the 4th side it will be a skirted panel with paving slabs laid the length of run - so does that sound fox proof ? 
We do have foxes around even though in urban area but have never seen a rat just the odd little mouse - which the cats usually find !!
I can't seem to post a picture of the type of coop I like the look of  -  this is based on a wheelbarrow and  can then move around in the run if needed too and could even be removed for its deep cleaning times.
This one doesn't have an external nest box - are these paramount or could we just put a divider inside the coop please ?

Thanks again

splash101

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41 »
As we speak i have just taken delivery of my mesh for a walk in run for our quails

I've had 1/2 x 1/2" as we had a little bit already left over from another project and it's 19 gauge.

It is quite a good gauge, i've used similar mesh in the past but not quite as good a gauge.

I got it from Hills of Devon after reading other posts on this site (i think you can get it directly but i saw they had a shop on that well known auction site  ;) ) and it was delivered the next day. There are a few other suppliers selling similar rolls but i went for the one who offered me the width of roll that i needed.

Although my coops have external nest boxes when you look inside my coop, it looks as though its all part of the inside bit anyway. Its only from the outside that it looks like a seperate box (does that make sense?)

I know they eat frogs (i found that out the hard way) but i didnt know they ate mice, good on them i say, ive never seen rats either but i always have a good look for any signs

I understand the wheelbarrow, makes it much easier for 1 person to be able to move it around

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09 »
Our weldmesh is 1/2" x 1" as rats and mice and possibley mink type animals can in through a 1 inch gap.

As to pop hole.  I would have it on a different side to the door that opens for cleaning out the coop.  That way you can clean the coop out without having to get into the run. 

Most of our chicken houses have been shed sized for easier access for us, but if the coop is a smaller one, just think about your access as well as the chooks.

Don't know about putting it on a wheelbarrow, but 2 wheels one end and handles the other to be able to push it around is a great idea.  chcikens don't mind hoping up a step or three!

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 13:08 »
Thats great thank you  :)

Will look at the smaller mesh I too have seen some on a well known auction site  ;) and may adapt the 'wheelbarrow' design  so it has twin wheels  :)
The top of this coop opens up for cleaning which means I could have a door each side which could drop down as ramps maybe ? then can alter way it faces too when moving it  :D

Prod

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 15:56 »
I use a vertical opening door but then it has an automatic timer   but a vertical one could still work without a timer.... :wacko:

xx
How big should the door hole be?

Started by bockhamptoners on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 20:39
by bockhamptoners
xx
Chicken operated pop-hole door

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 10:43
by arugula
xx
Hen's face changes colour

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 23:36
by Lindeggs
xx
SWOLLEN FACE

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 10:17
by Paddywack

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.