problems germinating pumpkins

• 14 Replies

bigben

problems germinating pumpkins
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:47 »
I have been given a load of pumpkin seeds my neighbour saved last year. Every year he saves seed and uses them to produce really good pumpkins. I had a problem last year while he used the same seed and his germinated well.

This year I have started mine off indoors on a warm windowsill instead of the greenhouse I used last year but am still waiting for them to come up after around 3 weeks. So far only 1 from 24. Planted in B&Q multipurpose.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or am I just being impatient?

prakash_mib

Re: problems germinating pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06 »
1. windowsill temperature fluctuates a lot at night that might be the reason.
2. have you tried covering them in a poly bag and seal it until they pop?
3. furtle to see if the seeds are rotten (too much water?)
4. personally I found coarse multipurpose with John innes get the squshes burst into life very soon (having said that I've seeded all my squashes in Bee Q multipurpose this year)
5. why dont you give your neighbour good cuppa and cake in exchange of seedlings (Thats the best option..... go for it  :))
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:17 »

5. why dont you give your neighbour good cuppa and cake in exchange of seedlings (Thats the best option..... go for it  :))

;) make good use of local resources - I like it.

Squashes do like very warm temperatures for germination - currently the weather has plummeted into late winter/early spring and its too dark, damp or cold even on a windowsill.

Another tip, push the seed into the soil pointy end down (rather than flat) and this helps to reduce risk of rot.

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 15:17 »
I've found chitting my pumpkin seeds helps, especially the ones that like real heat such as Atlantic Giant. Take a plastic tub like you'd get from the Chinese takeaway, put a piece of kitchen roll in the bottom and wet it. Pour out the excess water and then put your seeds in a fold in the kitchen paper. Seal it and stick it on the mantelpiece. As soon as a nice long root starts to form, stick em in a pot and watch them go.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 15:46 »

My problem ?  is that EVERY one of my pumpkin seeds have 'hatched'. 

I was expecting a few to come through.   I'm loath to just chuck 'em so I'll plant them in the hedge of the allotment!   Along with the Buddliah cuttings.      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 16:36 »
I sowed 5 seeds in multi purpose compost and put them in the back bedroom which is cool as no radiator but is south facing. They all sprouted with a week. Problem is, now all but 1 are really leggy. Think I may have to start again

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 17:10 »
I know it means spending your hard earned money but it will pay off in the long run...

Buy a heated propogator ;)  I always get 100% germination from my squash, pumpkin and courgettes. I use everyday compost, push the seed into the compost thin side down about an half to an inch depending on the seed, cover with a little vermiculite and put in the propogator.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 18:08 »
When I opened my last large squash up, some of the seeds had started germinating inside  :ohmy:

I selected a very few (24) and have potted them up.  Rather concerned about where I shall put them all though ...  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 18:55 »
can I use the idea of 'very few' being 24 - when I count the choc biscuits I've eaten  :nowink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 22:09 »
can I use the idea of 'very few' being 24 - when I count the choc biscuits I've eaten  :nowink:

But surely that's only ONE packet  ;) :lol:

bigben

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37 »
I know it means spending your hard earned money but it will pay off in the long run...

Buy a heated propogator ;)  I always get 100% germination from my squash, pumpkin and courgettes. I use everyday compost, push the seed into the compost thin side down about an half to an inch depending on the seed, cover with a little vermiculite and put in the propogator.

I am off to get one this morning Aidy - I have been thinking about it for a while - I dont have problems germinating chillis and sweetcorn but pumpkins dont seem to want to come up!

heloise

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:53 »
Heated propagators are well worth it for thngs like squash, pumpkin and I do my tomatoes in there too.
I'm sure you'll get loads of use out of it any they aren't that expensive (got mine from Wilkos).

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02 »
I get 100% germination with my plastic bags.

My money for a heated propagator is still in my back pocket!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38 »
Update - went for the propagator to find sold out so ordered one from amazon. While at the garden centre bought a couple of packs of pumpkin seed - these have all germinated within a week! I am beginning to think my mate has given me duff seeds as none of his have appeared even after all this time. :(

Agatha

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 15:37 »
You won't regret getting the propagator...I bought one 7 years ago & it is hardly ever out of use from spring to autumn.  It speeds up germination for the 'easy' stuff & gives a higher success rate for the difficult things. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
problems germinating broccoli seeds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 11:26
by Grubbypaws
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 38 queries.