Soft eggs / poorly hen?

• 8 Replies

Carrie99

Soft eggs / poorly hen?
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:44 »
Hello - I'm a bit new to poultry keeping so I'm wondering if anybody might have some advice for Belinda, my boldest chicken!

I took some ex-battery hens  back in October and they have improved beautifully since this time. They laid all through winter, most hens laying every day, which I thought was quite surprising, yet brilliant all the same!

Anyway, all of a sudden, since about 1 month ago I have started finding one soft egg at least 4-5 times each week. I believe I may know which hen it is coming from as she is making some noises that sound like she might be finding laying painful. Their food hasn't changed at all and I don't think anything is frightening them at all. The only thing that has changed is that due to the lighter nights I let them out of the run an awful lot more than in the winter, meaning they're getting access to more grubs/plants etc. than they would have. Could this make a difference? I'm just concerned as this doesn't seem to be a one off and I'm worried its something I'm doing :-s.

Carrie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Soft eggs / poorly hen?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53 »
It can be an age thing and yes laying either soft shelled or shell less eggs is difficult for them as they have nothing to push against. Do they have access to any calcium - crushed oyster shell or wash, baked and crushed shells?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carrie99

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 18:04 »
Hi there, thanks for your reply; yes they have oyster shell and I also give them crushed egg shell. I suppose one could be avoiding it but they seem to eat it. She seemed to be making strange noises before I left for wk today but no soft eggs on my return...unless they've been eaten!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 19:43 »
Welcome to the site Carrie.

They do eat the softies given half a chance so you may not see any traces of it.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Carrie99

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 19:52 »
Haha, yes, I'd caught one of them in the act so hoping that doesn't start a new problem!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 20:05 »
It shouldn't encourage them to eat normal eggs.  They are just using up a valuable resource and detering predators who might be attracted to them.   :)

Carrie99

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 19:40 »
Oh, that's good - I was worried I'd never see another egg again. I came home to evidence of another soft egg today. No shell anywhere to be seen but a big gooey yellow patch in the nest box. I do hope it stops soon though, they all seem very concerned for Belinda and seem to hang around her much more whilst she's trying to lay.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 19:46 »
That is probably not concern but wanting to be the first to a free meal!   ::) :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 14:10 »
Have read this thread with interest as I too have often found soft shelled eggs, very brittle shelled eggs and occasionally a shell only partially formed. There is oyster shell available although I have never seen them eat it and they are free in the garden. The eggs are from one or both my 2 hybrids as the 2 bantams are laying lovely strong shells. Any other ideas of what to do? I assumed that if they needed the oyster shell they would use it without being 'forcefed if, indeed, that is possible).

xx
2-3 eggs in one day from a poorly hen- 1 rough, 1 soft - what's wrong?

Started by eggbertina on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 11:28
by eggbertina
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
poorly chicken, malnutrition. soft egg?

Started by upert on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 22:24
by Foxy
xx
Soft eggs

Started by egglady on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:51
by joyfull

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.