Late soil preparation

• 6 Replies

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
Late soil preparation
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:04 »
I've just got back into my allotment after 18 months and have been cracking on building a new shed and getting rid of all the jungle that had re-appreared. I'd rotovated it all in 2010 but not dug it over until a fortnight ago when I rotovated it all again. It's broken down well and the Marestail that it was wick with seems to have reduced massively. Bonus! However the wicker grass/couch grass (whatever) has taken a hold well.

I've not managed to get onto it since, because of the rain, to pick out all of the weeds, but hopefully will have it done in the next week or so - weather permitting.

Pic of the ground as of last week:

My question is, is there anything I need to put on or in it to improve it for this years crop or am I out of time? I've just put seeds in, so have probably got a few weeks before they need to go in, but I'm hoping to get some seeds sown out directly in the next few weeks, such as spuds, carrots, parsnips, onions and the usual Sunday dinner vegetables.

I can get hold of manure (old but still strawy) but I gather this needs months to break down really. Likewise, I've got lime, but I gather the soil is basically neutral just leaning to acidic from the other gardeners.

I was going to just bang some Fish/Blood/Bone on and rake it in for a bit starter.

Does this make sense?

TIA

S

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Late soil preparation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17 »
n the next week or so - weather permitting.

My question is, is there anything I need to put on or in it to improve it for this years crop or am I out of time?

You can add liquid feed as you go, but what's the soil like? is it dry & sandy in which case it could do with structure being added so it will hold onto any rain, like wise if it's very clay, then it can dry out and leave a hard "pan" on top which seeds will find it hard to break through.
Parsnips & roots tend to fork if exposed to lumps of manure, depends what shape you like them :)

I've just put seeds in,

In which case you can't dig around them  ;)  or do you mean you've some coming on at home? waiting to be transplanted?

but I'm hoping to get some seeds sown out directly in the next few weeks, such as spuds, carrots, parsnips, onions and the usual Sunday dinner vegetables.

If you're planting brassicas they need liming and a very firm soil, spuds and onions need a lot of "food", manure dug in would be good if it's rotted down and is crumbly, otherwise you'll have to go down the FBB hoed in a week or so before planting

I can get hold of manure (old but still strawy) but I gather this needs months to break down really. Likewise, I've got lime, but I gather the soil is basically neutral just leaning to acidic from the other gardeners.   

No substitute for testing if you're that way inclined, but you'll need to lime for your brassicas.

I was going to just bang some Fish/Blood/Bone on and rake it in for a bit starter.

Does this make sense?

Yes - but I'd rake off all those little white hairy looking roots as they look like couch root to me - rotavating just chops them up so 1 rootlet = 1 couch plant.

Good luck!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17 »
Soil (and subsequently yourself) will always benifit from any improving,  any type of muck and straw will improve your crops and returns on hard work.  

You say "  Old but still strawy"  I should use that in the bottom of your spud trenches.

Don't lime and manure at the same time, they defeat one another.

By all means bang on some B.F. & B. as this is a slow release fertiliser it will supply food to your plants all season.   Chicken manure pellets are also very good.

The pH of soil can change from one area to another.   I should divide your plot up and carry out soil tests so YOU know how acidic or otherwise your ground is.

Cheers,     Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11 »
Cheers for the replies!

I should clarify that the seeds are in the shed in trays. Useful point I missed out!

The ground is pretty good, crumbly to lumpy with clay underpinnings.

So...

I'll manure the spud trenches (once I've dug them) and lime the brassica beds. Then use BFB raked in over the rest? Does that sound about right?

TIA

S

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33 »
Cheers for the replies!

I should clarify that the seeds are in the shed in trays. Useful point I missed out!

So...

I'll manure the spud trenches (once I've dug them) and lime the brassica beds. Then use BFB raked in over the rest? Does that sound about right?

TIA

S

Yes  :D   but remember to get those roots OUT  ;)

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51 »
Cheers for the replies!

So...

TIA

S

Yes  :D   but remember to get those roots OUT  ;)

Will do  ;) As soon as I can get on it. I dug it quite deep and with all the rain I just sink in 8 inches! lol

S

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 19:32 »
yes it looks like you Will have plenty of couch. whatever you do start getting rid of it now . a bit at a time and don't give up. year one i had tons. year two i had almost none in the parts i worked the most. this year there is less again but i still find the odd root trying to get the better of me.

keep at it and you will get there...
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

xx
Soil preparation

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 20:25
by mumofstig
xx
soil preparation advice

Started by richardwt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 18:11
by richardwt
xx
Soil preparation for root crops.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 13:01
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Soil preparation for outdoor tomatoes?

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 08:21
by Mattgregory27

Page created in 0.959 seconds with 36 queries.