Treadle feeder?

• 8 Replies

mum23kids

Treadle feeder?
« on: April 16, 2012, 22:53 »
Hello!

Does anyone have a treadle feeder or experience of using one? My hens are out in a field near our church and I fear I am feeding the resident rooks at vast expense.

I've had the girls for 5-6 weeks, all are laying daily (with the odd day gap) and they have settled in really well. Would they be OK with the change, would they be bright enough to figure it out? They are generally VERY food orientated!

Many thanks
E

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Treadle feeder?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55 »
I had one when my chucks free ranged in the whole garden i found it worked well as far as stopping wild birds as they are to light to make it work, my chucks still free range but spend more time in the run untill the wether improves, so all food in there for them  :D
Chicken crazy

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:20 »
When we first got our girls, a sack of feed lasted around 3 weeks in the 2 feeders. 

Then I think the wild birds found it and the sack lasted 10 days with both feeders completely empty every day - so I don't even know if the chickens had enough pellets.

A treadle feeder (sourced 2nd hand from fleabay) means my sack of food now lasts between 3 & 4 weeks & the wild birds are much less active in the run.

As a bonus, the treadle feeder stays out so one less job when putting them to bed.

Using cereal packets, I worked out the chickens needed to be 800g to work the treadle.  It only took them about 3 or 4 days to work out how to get at the food - they're not stupid when it comes to their stomachs!
ManicMum

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 13:38 »
We have used a treadle feeder for about two years and all of the hens get used to it fairly soon - our newest banty who is quite small just goes to the treadle with her welsummer friend so even though she is quite small she is still able to access food.  :)

When we first got the treadle we scattered a few pellets underneath the treadle and that encouraged the hens to hop on - after that there was not stopping them.  :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 00:04 »
Ordered mine today and can't wait for it to arrive.  That + the auto pop hole makes life so easy.  Just a daily poo pick and giving treats etc.  I can go away at weekends as well....
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:11 »
Suggest buy or make one with a lid they can't stand on (eg steep slope) - or put a bar/wire across if needed - to stop them standing (and pooing) on the top.

mum23kids

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 20:15 »
Thanks so much for your advice - I think it's definitely the way to go my first bag of food lasted 4 weeks, the second just about 2!

How much does a rook weigh?

still I guess you can adjust the weight bit? my girls are all pretty big so it should be OK.

Thanks again!

E

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 22:54 »
Last autumn the starlings worked out that if 3/4 of them stood on the treadle they could manage to get at the feed - I even had to rescue one that managed to get inside the hopper.  :wacko: Having said that they moved on after a few weeks and we definitely use a lot less feed than we used to. 

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 23:21 »
Mine arrived today and she loves it!  We are currently in training using a brick on the treadle but she loves to stand and peck it!

Now all I need is a gadget to stop her pooing all over my garden path.....

xx
Treadle feeder

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 06:41
by joyfull
xx
Treadle Feeder

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 01:58
by Lindeggs
xx
treadle feeder

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 16:09
by nerdle
xx
Granpas Treadle Feeder

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 21:51
by JJ282

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 36 queries.