Wretched mice ate my peas

• 28 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Wretched mice ate my peas
« on: April 15, 2012, 17:27 »
Last week I sowed about 500 Alderman peas. Earlier in the week I caught 2 mice in that bed, and last night I caught one more. Then I noticed that there were neat little holes all along the pea rows, at approximately the same distance apart as I planted the peas. I have no idea how many of the peas they ate, nor whether I've got all the mice that were doing it. I've popped a new seed in everywhere I could see a hole and then covered the whole lot in some old bird netting (mass of netting rather than laid flat) in the hope that might deter any remaining mice. And I've put another trap in so there's one each side of the peas. But until they come up I won't know how bad the damage is.

I hadn't yet sown my mangetout, so I had the horrible task of sowing that lot in modules and strips and anything else I could find, because I daren't risk sowing those direct and losing those too. And when they've come up I'll have the very tedious job of planting that lot out.

Any suggestions for anything other than the netting I could do that might deter the little blighters? I don't find the idea of soaking in paraffin very appealing, and in any event the peas are in now. Last year I had a lot of problems with the mice eating all my parsnips and carrots, but they didn't touch the peas so I don't know why they've suddenly made a bee line for them this year.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Wretched mice ate my peas
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 21:00 »
I've never had a pea/mouse problem.

I always grow my peas in drainpipes and put them out when they are at least an inch and 1/2 high - then I sow the next lot.

It's quite good for successional sowing too.
I have 2 short drainpipes so I do 4 or 5 lots of 2 rows successionally if that makes sense!

Emma

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 21:45 »
This year I pre-germinated my peas by putting them in a margerine tub mixed with damp compost for 3 days in the warm before sowing them. It has worked for me this year. Previously they have eaten the lot.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 21:47 »
Lost mine last year this way so now i sow in cells - it aint too bad though i wouldnt want to do 500!!!

I have done about 300 so far in different stages 100 at a time and it only took a short while for each

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 21:57 »
This year I pre-germinated my peas by putting them in a margerine tub mixed with damp compost for 3 days in the warm before sowing them. It has worked for me this year. Previously they have eaten the lot.

My peas had started shooting. The mice snipped off the shoots, left them and ate the peas.

I have a horrible feeling that if I did the drainpipe thing I'd end up smashing the lot when I tried to deftly slide them out of the drainpipe and into the ground.

Carrot Man

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 22:04 »
Couple of tips
Grow them in pots first or soak the peas in paraffin first

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 22:30 »
I have planted mine next to a path then I used jays fluid diluted 35-1 along the path. Seems to have done the trick
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 22:40 »

My peas had started shooting. The mice snipped off the shoots, left them and ate the peas.

I have a horrible feeling that if I did the drainpipe thing I'd end up smashing the lot when I tried to deftly slide them out of the drainpipe and into the ground.

Honestly it's so easy.
Just buy a length of drainpipe and 2 ends (the like of B&Q sell these) - the ends are kind of rubber-bound to make them stay in place.
Fill with your preferred compost and sow the peas - I've always swon them a little thickly in previous years so have gone a little thinner this year.

When ready to plant out, wiggle the end off the drainpipe and gently slide the whole lot into a pre-dug drill as wide as the drainpipe and gently press the soil gently around them.

Easy peasy.
saw Sarah raven do it once - have never looked back :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34 »
Sowing them direct into the ground is a lot easier. I'd try the Jeyes thing if the peas were near a path, but sadly they're not. Maybe I could lay a thin strip of timber next to the row with Jeyes on that, kind of ring fence them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31 »
DD covers his peas with tightly stretched and weighted down debris netting, as issues of scale make module sowing a bit silly for him.

Me, I module sow as I only grow about 15 m of peas altogether, with another 12m of dwarf french beans
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38 »
Sunny's right.

I currently have 198' feet of peas - and more to do when we get home - under debris netting. Module sowing & guttering sowing is out.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15 »
DD - if your debris netting is stretched and weighted, presumably that means it's flat to the ground - don't the shoots get tangled up in that when they come up?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:19 »
It's elevated by about 6" on lots of small lengths of wood. One run of debris netting will cover 3 x 32' rows.

It dips a bit in places, but there's a minimum of 3" headroom, which will do until I start putting the supports out and then throw any old netting over them to keep the pigeons off.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28 »
ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks, DD.

bigben

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 14:20 »
The mice go for the smell of the germinating peas - DDs method should stop them getting to the peas but I have had success in just dusting the ground with curry powder to mask the pea smell or spraying with hot chilli sauce solution onto the surface of the ground once I have backfilled my peas. Give it a try if you dont want to use netting - curry powder is fairly cheap and less harmful than paraffin.

sad
Mice ate my peas

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 13:56
by stompy
xx
mice and peas

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 14:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mice and Peas

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 09:11
by grinling
xx
Mice v Peas

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 20:31
by barley

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 37 queries.