Concern over hens??

• 27 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Concern over hens??
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:11 »
I am now confused as to what is going on with our three hens now that George our cockerel has gone to a new home (see Swap shop, lemon pekin).
They now do not want to come out of the hen house at all, so I am lifting them out at least twice a day to feed and water.
 Would they starve themselves if I don't?? what would happen?

Once they have had a feed and a drink they have a short wander & a peck on the grass they go back to the gate into the run, but I have to shut the run gate or they would be straight back in! I then open the gate and they shoot straight back up the ramp back into the nest box. No one is laying so they aren't sitting on anything. I think its that they are all broody but this has been going on for several days now.
They were fine for a couple of days when George went but now its as if they are missing him or sulking. Can hens do either of these things?

They normally free range all over the garden and go to bed when they want, I then close the run gate so all is safe and secure, to but I'm afraid I have to say at the moment they have become very boring!!
 Sorry to have to say it but it was much more fun when George was here as he chortled away and was always the entertaining one, strutting around etc.
It was just such a shame he was soooo noisy and I mean really noisy. Never shut up crowing!!
 If we could have had his crow taken away I would never have rehomed him as I'd had him from 5 weeks old, not knowing he was a boy, and I really miss him. In fact I am getting tearful about him as I type this as I really do miss him  :(
I hope someone can put my mind at rest and tell me this is just a hiccup with the hens and all will be well and they will go back to roaming free range around the garden.
Thank you for any help.
Anne

Sassy

Re: Concern over hens??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 17:41 »
It does sound as though they may be broody. They can be very persistent and will keep going back to the nest box asap. Put broody hen into the search box and you will get loads of good advice. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 18:26 »
broodiness can last for weeks  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:53 »
Thank you for your reply's.
Would it be because the cockerel has gone thats made them like this or is it purely coincedence that they've gone broody?
Will they starve themselves if I don't take them out of the hen house??
Its really awkward now as we are going away for a few days and someone (not used to hens) is going to come and check them for food and water, but I don't want to have to bother him to be trying to get them out of henhouse, and keep them out. They can get in and out of henhouse as I don't close the pophole at all. their run is quite secure.

Any suggestions to speed this process of broodiness up will be greatly appreciated as they won't go anywhere away from the henhouse at the moment  ::)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 18:45 by Anndee »

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32 »
Is there no one able to give me any advice on this matter? PLEASE!

I'm now wondering if it would be a good idea to set up an Eglu and run that I have and put them in there, in another section of the garden, to see if that may snap them out of the doldrums that they seem to have got into.
What does anyone think to that idea?
Thanks

Beano

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44 »
Hi,
I've never tried this but, if you have a cage of some sort you could put your broody in there.
The theory is, that the floor being of mesh will stop her making herself comfortable and will cool her down. Obviously you put food and water in with her. This apparently shocks them out of broodiness. Hopefully someone who has done this will come along and explain it better than me.
Good luck.
El.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52 »
Hi Anndee, Shetan has posted that she used an icepack wrapped in a towel and placed in the nestbox.  This makes it too cold for the broody to settle.  You may have to do this for a few days but it should work.

They will not starve though, I have 2 broodies and they come off the nest to eat and drink each day.  I cleared their broody poo up each time so I could tell that they had been out.  It is only in the final days of hatching that they might sit tight and not leave the nest.  Which is what one of mine is doing at the moment.  I have placed food and water within reach and clear her poo from the nest area.

Your hens may just be nervous as they will have seen George as their protector.  Sure things will settle down in time as they realise they are safe. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54 »
take a look here  :) :)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 17:25 »
Thank you for giving me some advice. Joyfull thank you for the link, and ANHBUC I wondered also if they felt insecure without George as its almost as if they've gone agraphobic! I may have to try the dog crate method if all else fails.
I'm not entirely sure they are broody as no one is laying or sitting on eggs. They just do not want to leave the henhouse/nest box. Not even to eat or drink. when i do lift them out they get a drink and some food and want to be strainght back in.
This aft. I have rigged up the Eglu and run and put them in there. they aren't interested in going into the Eglu but have been eating and drinking and sitting out on the grass, although Lottie ( Wyandotte banty) was pacing about a lot to begin with, trying to get out. She has settled now though. I noticed when I picked them up, they have lost weight :(
I thought I would let them back into the henhouse to sleep and put them out into Eglu/run during the day. That way they get used to being back out on grass but with a safe mesh over them.
what do others think?
Why do these things happen on the brink of leaving them in someone elses care whilst you go away??!!
Thank you again for all responses.
Anne

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 19:40 »
Sounds like you are on the right track Anne. 

Try giving them layers pellets with added boiling water and then cooled which most hens love.  This will give them food and water and should help them build up to a better weight.   ;)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42 »
Thanks for that ANHBUC. I will give it a try.
Has anything like this ever happened with your hens??
Does it sounds like they are missing the safety aspect of having a cockerel around?
Thank you again
Anne

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51 »
I don't have an adult cockerel (have at least 2 cockerel chicks) so I think it would be similar if the head hen was taken away.  Having said that there is more than one dominant in my flock so they might not notice as the other would just step up.  They should gain confidence over time. 

Mine were very jumpy when I first got them as they were kept in a barn so weren't used to things flying overhead.  They soon settled down and are really confident now.   :)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 21:01 »
Things haven't improved any today. the rain hasn't helped though.
I gave them some layers mash as you suggested ANHBUC but to no avail. They took one look and said 'NO thank you'.
I think the best I can do when we go away, is leave them with food and water IN the hen house and  also in the run as in its usual place and hope for the best.
 I've explained the situation to the person who is going to come and check on them and I don't think I can do any more.
I've told him if they aren't going to be sensible, he's not to worry about them.
I hope no one thinks bad of me but I can't think what else I can do.
I do hope they don't starve themselves to death and its not ideal that we are going away but its been booked for a year now and we can't cancel.
i can't believe any animal that isn't ill would literally just not be interested in eating or going out and about. They do eat a bit and drink when I've oiked them out of the house, but its not a lot
Oh dear  :(
Thank you anyway for your suggestions and if things improve I will let you know.

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 14:49 »
Sorry they are still protesting about loosing George.  The only problem with putting food and water in the coop is it getting soiled from their poo. 

A broody hen can go for over 3 weeks with little food and water so they are probably getting enough to keep them going.  If they are not out and about they will not need much as they are using very little energy.  If you turf them out of the coop closing the pop hole for an hour or so in the morning they might get the message.  Fingers crossed.   ;)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 18:29 »
I turfed them off this morning while it wasn't raining and they did have a bit to eat and a drink. They then had to go back in due to rain (They don't like it!!) after 1/2 hour
Faired up this afternoon so oiked them off again and just ignored them. they had to stay out on grass as I shut the run gate. I left food and water which they did have a bit more of. It then started to rain so in they went again but they were out for about 1 1/2 hours which is an improvement and they did move away from the run a little bit ???
I think it is just one of them (Lottie, Wyandotte) who is wanting to be in. The other two are just trying to keep her company. I think??
I really appreciate your help and concern ANHBUC I don't feel so much on my own with this now  :wub:
i can't do much else untill we get back and if all is well, and now you've said they don't need much to eat & drink if they just sit on the nest, I feel a bit happier, so when we get back I think I might just separate them all, but keep them in view of each other, to try and break the habit. I have two runs and houses so one in each and they can take it turns to free range for a bit at a time. Does this sound a reasonable idea?
Anne
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 21:37 by Anndee »

xx
Cause for concern?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 19:08
by Catsmuvva
xx
poo concern

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 19:50
by beulah59
xx
cause for concern?

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 10:50
by traacyken
xx
Cause for concern?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 11:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 37 queries.