Growing in containers if I give up lottie!!!

• 31 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Growing in containers if I give up lottie!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 15:54 »
The reason I put carrots in bins is because I am plagued with carrot root fly, which is why I don't usually bother with them. Dog removes any covering I try. :D

You can get stumpy and round carrots for containers.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 16:14 »
Its a whole new world growing in pots, yep i have a dog too, thankfully he has his own run, so hopefully protect the garden from his destruction. unless the kids leave the gate open! Right so stumpy varieties of stuff, i will rememeber that.  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 16:17 »
Do you ever use those grow bags that you can buy. I bought a few the other week and came across some for free the other day so have about 6 of them. Going to put my toms and peppers in them. Are they any good do you know  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 17:20 »
They are OK, depends partly on their depth as some are shallower than others.  You'll need to puncture some drainage holes near the base as well as cut the holes in the top for the plants.

Some people cut them in half right across the middle and then stand them on their ends so that they end up with two 'pots'.  You get fewer plants in this way, but better compost depth.

Again, make sure they are properly watered and fed.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 18:43 »
My front garden had onions in it last year.  This summer it's going to be squash, courgettes and sweetcorn!

Just so you can see how it worked:

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 20:06 »
wow that looks good, dont forget if you are growing in a small space you have three dimentions so don t forget the vertical aspect to your garden , hanging baskets are great for tumbling tomatoes  strawberrys etc , concentrate on those expensive crops  last year in London onions were as low as 65p for 4 kgs in the markets which virtualy does not cover the cost of the sets?
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 20:30 »
Oh Yorkie you are a little star, i think your fab, thats so brilliant, that piture has really made me smile and you really can plant stuff in a small place. If thts what you did in your front garden I can certainly mange something  :D

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 20:47 »
I planted and cropped some nice parsnips in a deep container last year. You just got to think to yourself if it's a root veg how deep will it grow and how wide will it get. As long as you got the space for it then there's no reason why it shouldn't grow. That smug twit Jamie Oliver had was picking tomatoes from a plant he grew in a baked bean tin I seem to remember a couple of years ago.

My garden was also a uniform tidy garden and I would spend maybe 2 weekends a year in march or April getting it looking good and then I could never be bothered to go out and sit in it. I don't do BBQs or have lots of people round to sit about outside so it was wasted really.

Now it's a veg garden I'm out there every weekend and most evening until dark. It still looks uniform and very tidy but it is now getting used more. It looks great now and in a few weeks it will add some pots with flowers to add some colour to it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 20:53 by the Kergan »
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 21:09 »
Oh Yorkie you are a little star, i think your fab, thats so brilliant, that piture has really made me smile and you really can plant stuff in a small place. If thts what you did in your front garden I can certainly mange something  :D

Excellent  :D

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 21:33 »
Thats it exactly, I do have BBQ's etc but I still dont go out there as much as I would like. I love what you do with your garden and I know growing would get me out there. I have taken care of seeds since Feburary so I would definately continue to take care of them. I love the cottage garden theme. I just told the OH we dont need a lawn  :ohmy:

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 21:53 »
Took me ages to persuade the enemy that we would be better off losing the lawn and she is now glad it's gone. It was a real effort having to sit in the lounge with a beer while she pushed the mower around the back lawn  :D

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 22:52 »
OMG your not my husband in disguise are you  :lol:

digalotty

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 23:26 »
i like your front garden yorkie i wish i had that mutch room at the front of my house :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 23:55 »
Yep defo going to jib the allotment, would rather build a cottage garden, so be prepared for all the container threads to begin.  :D

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36 »
Love the picture, thanks for posting  :D

xx
something odd growing on lottie

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 15:35
by prakash_mib
xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing gooseberries in containers

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 15:51
by Kevin67

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.