Growing in containers if I give up lottie!!!

• 31 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Growing in containers if I give up lottie!!!
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:37 »
Hi Guys, Not sure what to do, Had the lottie two years and have never planted a thing, never keep on top of the weeds so when i return I have to start again. I work full time and care for a child with a disability. I hoped the allotment would be a me thing but without help I cant beat the weeds. I love the idea of growing my own but can it be achieved in a small garden that is not south facing but gets sun until about mid day.  I Can put pots out front though that does receive the sun.When I get weekends off work I do my own front and back garden as well. I just constantly worry about the allotment officer. This would be a nice time for a newbie on my allotment as it is all level at the moment and wheather perking up nicely. Just dont know what to do.The things I want to grow the most are potatoes, parsnips, onions, peppers and tomatoes. I use these the most in cooking and flowers. Could I achieve this by growing in containers. Sorry for the long thread  :unsure:

Milly

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing in containers if I give up lottie!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:09 »
What about sharing the allotment? There may be someone else in a similar situation to you who would jump at the chance to share though I'm not sure if that's technically allowed by the allotment society.
Other than that if it's causing you stress better to let it go and go your plan B of growing in pots at home.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30 »
You could get hold of a copy of this book of John's:

"Vegetable Fruit & Herb Growing in Small Spaces"

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/small-space-growing.php

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:53 »
I have quite a small garden, if I discount the patio I have an area of 22ft by 22ft and it is north east facing.

I done quite a bit in tubs last year but this year I have expanded it and I'm trying to go for a cottage garden sort of effort.

I have a 6x6 greenhouse a stone sun circle with a rotary clothes line on it and 3 raised beds, two are 8x4 and one is L shaped and works at at about 12x4 and all 1ft deep.

I have done away with the lawn and all the walking areas are now pea shingled. I also have a lot of large containers that can be dotted about and are portable plus 2 half whiskey barrels that you can get quite a lot into.

This year I have bought 5 pots that will hold about 5ltrs of compost and I will put a runner bean in each with a cane for them to grow up and I will be able to move them about the garden to suit .

It is suprising how much you can get into a small garden and still keep it looking nice.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:29 »
It's surprising what you can grow in a small garden. I have a small amount of soil for things such as broad beand, a few peas, beeets, chard, a small row of potatoes (for new only), salad, tuscan kale. When beans and potatoes are finished I put psb and leeks for winter, with more chard. In the flower borders we have rhubarb and runner beans and raspberries, in pots on the patio fruit trees, herbs and blueberries. Bigger pots of potatoes, a bin with peas and one of carrots (don't usually bother with these) then a small lean-to greenhouse which will have peppers, cues and melons. Tomatoes and mini cues in pots where I can fit them, and three chooks on the drive.

Don't know what I am going to do with the patty pans! :ohmy:

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 14:04 »
Oh thank you guys, Tosca100 you mention carrots in bins. Is that because they are long and root down. Would the same go for parsnips. Actually the grass been got rid off is a superb idea, we just got rid of the 15ft kids trampoline so the grass is destroyed anyway.  Imagine the OH face when he gets home from work and the lawn is gone  :lol:

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 14:06 »
Like the look of the book too thanks a lot  :)

FN

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 14:25 »
I live in London so grow everything in containers on a balcony. I haven't had any problems growing the veg you mentioned in pots & you can get a suprising amount particularly if you sow small amounts regularly.
Other things that work well are soft fruit (particularly goseberries, currants, strawberries and blueberries), lettuce, peas, cucumbers, courgettes, french beans & leeks.
The only veg I have really struggled with are squash & pumpkins.
We don't manage to be completely self sufficient, but I rarely but fruit and veg from April - October.
I keep costs down by buying cheap pots & seeds, saving seed and topping up bought compost with homemade.
The only downside is all the watering....

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 14:54 »
Thats great to hear, all postive things, Mmmm I better re-consider on the pumkin competition then.  ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 15:02 »
If you're not enjoying the lotty then it does sound like a decision needs to be made.

Onions take up quite a lot of space; I think you'll struggle to get many from containers.

All the other things you mention are do-able in pots.  Obviously you need to keep on top of watering and nutrients far more, as the compost dries out easily and becomes exhausted in about 4-6 weeks.

Make sure you choose parsnips which are more stumpy in shape, as opposed to long tapering ones.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 15:09 »
I do like it Yorke, it just seems like I dont get the time, I may take the Kergan route, I like that idea, I have borders to my garden, I think I may draw a plan for my garden and split it up, I think that there is no point having a front and back garden that i keep tidy and boring, then go and spend all my life digging weeds elswhere. I just wonder if I put all my effort into re-planning my own garden it may fit in better for me.  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 15:12 »
and free an allotment for a gardenless person. Also I think I have lacked imagination. I think I have always kept my garden tidy and uniform because thats what everbody else around me has done, buts its pretty boring, time to spice it up  :tongue2:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 15:13 »
My front garden had onions in it last year.  This summer it's going to be squash, courgettes and sweetcorn!

I've had lots of comments and quite a few people asking what's going to be grown this year.  Luckily (touch wood) I didn't have any light-fingered people around but that is an inevitable risk.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 15:24 »
Yes thats the only risk, I am off the beaten track a little bit and have great neighbours, That was lots in your front garden. My cul de sac has open plan front gardens so I have no walls or barriers to hide things, but my house sits back from the road so things are not as noticeable. I thought about putting my wilko greenhouse out in the front in a couple of weeks. Would potted things need new compost of just lots of added nutrients. ta

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 15:27 »
Would I plant parsnips in bins like plastic dust bins too ??

xx
something odd growing on lottie

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 15:35
by prakash_mib
xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing tomatoes in containers.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 23:24
by Bombers

Page created in 0.674 seconds with 37 queries.