breadmaker woes and joys

• 137 Replies

jay001

• Experienced Member
Re: breadmaker woes and joys
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2012, 21:28 »
if you want a lighter loaf use 2 cups of white and 1 of wholemeal, for white I use 3 cups of white, and get a taller loaf.
Grendel

are we talking american " cup " measurements here grendel cos i have a very old recipe from mrs beaton that uses "breakfast cup " as a measurment for her soda bread and it took ages to get it right in the conversion lots of trial and error cos i had no idea what a breakfast cup was  :lol:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

grendel

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2012, 21:41 »
yes standard cup measure - I use the measure that came with my breadmaker - thats 1 cup.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 21:55 »
i have now chosen the bread maker that i think will be the one for me not promising i am converted yet but it has moved onto my amazon wish list -- ooh the shame the shame  :blush: after all i said about them  :ohmy:not got to the checkout stage yet though :D :D it,s the panasonicsd-2501wxcwith auto dispenser and gluten free program all reveiws rate it really highly both from long time bread machine users and the new converted purist,s -- thing is it,s retailing at £108.64p :ohmy: but they do throw in free shipping  :lol: :lol: anyone out there got one ??? please before i end up making a fool of myself with yet another poor judgment  :)

Lardman

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 21:59 »
I have the model from the previous series, the panny sd255.  Used daily for 2 years - worth every penny.

Might not be as good as DD hand made lovingly prepared loaves - but for a chuck it in and go to bed its faultless.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2012, 22:09 »
I have the model from the previous series, the panny sd255.  Used daily for 2 years - worth every penny.

Might not be as good as DD hand made lovingly prepared loaves - but for a chuck it in and go to bed its faultless.

ok lardman i,ii put you down with a positive then,what do you think about the price ? i have seen it up as high on line as £139.00 also very generouse with free shipping :lol:

grendel

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2012, 22:10 »
I am so sorry Jay, I n ever meant to lead you into temptation. :)
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 22:12 »
Why not ask and see if any of the people who say they have one sitting at the back of the cupboard have one you can try out to see if you get on with one before you buy?
Grendel

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2012, 22:25 »
Why not ask and see if any of the people who say they have one sitting at the back of the cupboard have one you can try out to see if you get on with one before you buy?
Grendel

the trouble with that grendel is this thread you started has got all those people interested at having a go again-- so you,ve done me both way,s  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: and as for mrs b and her preserving pan --- what can i say i then carried on in the kitchen section and was like a kid in a sweetshop  :ohmy: if i did it all i would be down a lot,so just hope the refurb costs keep getting cheaper !!! :tongue2: :tongue2:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 08:45 »
i have now chosen the bread maker that i think will be the one for me not promising i am converted yet but it has moved onto my amazon wish list -- ooh the shame the shame  :blush: after all i said about them  :ohmy:not got to the checkout stage yet though :D :D it,s the panasonicsd-2501wxcwith auto dispenser and gluten free program all reveiws rate it really highly both from long time bread machine users and the new converted purist,s -- thing is it,s retailing at £108.64p :ohmy: but they do throw in free shipping  :lol: :lol: anyone out there got one ??? please before i end up making a fool of myself with yet another poor judgment  :)

Hi Jay. All my breadmakers are Panasonic with auto dispenser. Wouldn't be without them. I did loads of research before buying and Panasonic came out tops with Which.

Go for it. I bet you will find it a very useful piece of kitchen kit.  And......... from purist point of view even if you want dough for sour doughbread or some thing that needs a slow prove etc you can use the pizza program to mix and knead, as I understand from your previous posts that your arms get tired because of your stroke, and then take the bucket out just after it has kneaded and leave it to prove slowly through the day. :D

And as for me and my preserving pan :blush: :blush: If you are only making small amounts of jam you can get by with a large kitchen pan so long as there is enough room for the rolling boil. As you are an ex chef Iwould imagine   that you have some seriously large pans, such as a stock pot that would do the job for the moment. ;)

I on the other hand need to invest in a second one this year as I am selling more than ever and need to have 2 on the go at once. :D

I have to say that I felt exactly as you do now, when colleagues suggested I get a breadmaker. I was fairly opinionated about not needing/kneading one. But once I succumbed and got one, I was really hooked. We are all allowed to change our opinions. ;)

Really makes preparing dough for baking in the oven a real doddle. I make the bog standard bread for everyday use and the really posh bread for high days, holidays and treats.

Have you got an icecream machine? ;) ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:52 by Mrs Ball »

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14 »
thanks mrs b  :) i have given myself till fri to make my mind up,as for pans i only have 3 standerd size ones with me now so i might have a look for ss stock pot i want to try my hand at chutney,s and jams so i,m sure i will get the use from it and looks like panasonic seem to have got it right all way,s round  :) i will keep you posted  :lol: :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2012, 15:12 »
thanks mrs b  :) i have given myself till fri to make my mind up,as for pans i only have 3 standerd size ones with me now so i might have a look for ss stock pot i want to try my hand at chutney,s and jams so i,m sure i will get the use from it and looks like panasonic seem to have got it right all way,s round  :) i will keep you posted  :lol: :lol:

Please do keep me posted. I would be really interested to see if you come to the same conclusions as I did :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2012, 17:56 »
Have just made some ciabatta bread and some tomato and garlic bread (the flour was ready produced tomato and garlic (Wessex Mill) in case anyone asks.

Made it by hand :happy:

Feeling very pure :D

Emma

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2012, 18:02 »
mrs b is there any chance of you and grendel chipping in for all of this cos while i was being a little kiddie in a sweet shop i also added a ice cream maker to my wish list on amazon  :lol: and had my one and only friend over here in the uk to see me today who i have worked with briefly many years ago in france (he,s english ) he has the acculade of master baker to his name ,he,s 63 now and he said just get it jay they are good and put people like me out of buisness,now having seen and sampled his work on the pattiseiere side coming from him i think i am converted :blush: --- just need the check,s from you and grendel now  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :lol:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2012, 18:10 »
Have just made some ciabatta bread and some tomato and garlic bread (the flour was ready produced tomato and garlic (Wessex Mill) in case anyone asks.

Emma

stop it !!!!-- i confuse easily and hate renaging on my princebles in life you you you you flippin smug purist you  :lol: and emma it,s only at my wish list not in a basket yet  :tongue2:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2012, 18:13 »

Emma

stop it !!!!-- i confuse easily and hate renaging on my princebles in life you you you you flippin smug purist you  :lol: and emma it,s only at my wish list not in a basket yet  :tongue2:

:D :D :D :D

If you want one you have one m'dear.
You can have nice bread every day, then make the odd proper hand made loaf from time to time and still enjoy the process! :D

xx
breadmaker

Started by francesann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

33 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:52
by madcat
xx
First time with my breadmaker........

Started by Slowgrind on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

46 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 13:50
by shokkyy
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 38 queries.