breadmaker woes and joys

• 137 Replies

grendel

breadmaker woes and joys
« on: April 14, 2012, 22:32 »
well this morning I woke to a horribly sagged loaf, the drive belt had come off the breadmaker, this happened once before a few months back, and as we use it on a daily basis its a pretty essential bit of kit round here. So when I had just got up I started into the stripdown, I diagnosed the problem, the pull of the drive belt had worn the bearing, so the pulley was tilted, causing the belt to slip off.
a fix was thought through, the bearing removed and rotated through 120 degrees. well this worked well and straightened the pulley  up nicely, the whole was put back together - great I thought, my breadmaker has another lease of life. Sadly this was not the case as I found when I came to put the bread tin back in, to find the lock mechanism that holds  the bread tin in place had rotated with the bearing. so a fond farewell was made with my 3 year old plus breadmaker and a new one has been purchased. another Morphy Richards, on the basis if the last lived longer than 3 years of daily use, then a new one should hopefully do the same. (I do note that the same bread tin and bearing are used).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: breadmaker woes and joys
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 22:54 »
bad luck. They become indispensable don't they  ::)

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 23:41 »
We had one but couldn't really get on with it. The bread was always stale in a day or so and the bread maker left a big hole in the bottom of the loaf as well.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

grendel

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 00:13 »
you kind of get used to the hole to be honest, and mostly the bread doesnt get a chance to go stale, as I generally have to bake a new loaf every day.
Grendel

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:50 »
I'm a purist when it comes to breadmaking - though granted, I don't have time to make it everyday!

Do you save a lot of money with a breadmaker?

Emma

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:06 »
We had one but couldn't really get on with it. The bread was always stale in a day or so and the bread maker left a big hole in the bottom of the loaf as well.

Real read should go stale in a day! Don't you wonder what the manufacturers put in to preserve what you buy?

grendel

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:08 »
you save a little, after you have factored in the electric etc, I havent done the sums recently, but it worked out about 60p a loaf last time I did it, you can probably buy cheaper with 'value' brands but at least you know whats in your own loaf, plus you get a fresh loaf just when you want it.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24 »
yes - just done a quick calculation, with asda flour I can do a loaf for about 40p, using allinson flour its about 60p per loaf. so it all depends upon how expensive the ingredients are - to be honest middle of the road does a  great job for me.
Grendel

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37 »
you save a little, after you have factored in the electric etc, I havent done the sums recently, but it worked out about 60p a loaf last time I did it, you can probably buy cheaper with 'value' brands but at least you know whats in your own loaf, plus you get a fresh loaf just when you want it.
Grendel

No bought loaf tastes like freshly baked bread - it's delicious.

I've bought some lovely flavoured flours lately - some of the gardens and NT properties mill their own now and they make some lovely breads.
Tomato and garlic flour makes a great bread for bruschetta ;)

Emma

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09 »

Real read should go stale in a day! Don't you wonder what the manufacturers put in to preserve what you buy?

i agree it should !!! - i make bread every day myself and the taste is to die for-- am i blowing my own trumpet there ?  :D i was toying with the idea of one but now i hear from several people on here about a hole in the bottom i will stick with hand made thankyou very much  :tongue2: if i am having a particulary bad day hands wise i just knock up a soda bread loaf -a lot less neading and no rising time needed ( no pun intended  :D ) or if really bad day then it,s corn bread here we come !!! i like to taste my bread not take a bite of fresh air and preservatives as with shop brought --- so bread maker,s are with there holes in the bottom not for me --- long live the purists !!   :tongue2:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

grendel

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:18 »
yes the kneading paddle has to go somewhere, sometimes it stays in the loaf, which is when I stick a teaspoon handle in to lever it out, but it does save time, just throw the ingredients in and 3 hours later take a steaming hot loaf out. my new one has a french bread setting that I am dying to try - even though it takes nearly 4 hours.
Grendel

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:24 »

i agree it should !!! - i make bread every day myself and the taste is to die for-- am i blowing my own trumpet there ?  :D i was toying with the idea of one but now i hear from several people on here about a hole in the bottom i will stick with hand made thankyou very much  :tongue2: if i am having a particulary bad day hands wise i just knock up a soda bread loaf -a lot less neading and no rising time needed ( no pun intended  :D ) or if really bad day then it,s corn bread here we come !!! i like to taste my bread not take a bite of fresh air and preservatives as with shop brought --- so bread maker,s are with there holes in the bottom not for me --- long live the purists !!   :tongue2:

It's the design of the mixing paddle; on mine it should come out with the loaf and then be carefully removed with minimum damage. Even though I oil everything before use, some times it sticks and you do end up with a hole in the bottom of the loaf - not the end of the world considering you bung everything in, switch on and a loaf emerges a couple of hours later!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28 »
One of the joys of making your own bread is in trying different recipes, whether hand-made or in the machine.   :D

Results sure ain't like supermarket bread :tongue2:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31 »
can certainly see the benefit,s of taste and conveinience for someone with a busy life style -- didnt realise that is all you had to do with them ---- but hey guy,s and gal,s not being swayed --- still staying with the purists on this one hee hee  :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 09:35 »
Just wondering, haven't tried it yet, rather than using oil on the paddle, what about a solid grease? As the first ingredients usually in the tin are water or milk, wouldn't they wash the oil off? Therefore does solid grease work any better? Anyone tried?

xx
breadmaker

Started by francesann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

33 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:52
by madcat
xx
First time with my breadmaker........

Started by Slowgrind on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

46 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 13:50
by shokkyy
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.