breadmaker woes and joys

• 137 Replies

jay001

• Experienced Member
Re: breadmaker woes and joys
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2012, 09:17 »
didn,t get the ice cream maker mrs b cos didn,nt think i would get the use out of it so added 10 solar light,s for the garden instead--- just goes to show how my mind work,s nowaday,s dosn,t it  :ohmy:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Mrs Bee

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00 »
didn,t get the ice cream maker mrs b cos didn,nt think i would get the use out of it so added 10 solar light,s for the garden instead--- just goes to show how my mind work,s nowaday,s dosn,t it  :ohmy:

Solar lights for the garden sounds good, Jay. Shouldn't worry how your mind works now lovely, Mine is all over the place and I haven't had a stroke ;)  Think it is age creeping up on me slowly or quickly some days :(

If you don't each much icecream you can make very acceptable ices without an icecream maker. ;)

I get huge amount of use with mine. Just made a rich vanilla with some cream that needed to be used up. Happy hubby as it is his favourite ice of all times. used the wonderful Gary Rhodes recipe.

Although you can do the healthy sort with one.

No I will stop.  :DMust try to lead you into temptation :D :D
You have fun with your new gadgets when they arrive.

grendel

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2012, 14:28 »
made a wholemeal loaf a little wet, so it rose spectacularly then slumped, so we ended with a super tall loaf, with a dip in the top. but I can say it as great for lunch as eggy bread, the extra large holes held the egg very well and it was great.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02 »
made a wholemeal loaf a little wet, so it rose spectacularly then slumped, so we ended with a super tall loaf, with a dip in the top. but I can say it as great for lunch as eggy bread, the extra large holes held the egg very well and it was great.
Grendel

sorry iv,e not been replying but goiing through my bad day period -- and gredal does that mean you now get a hole in the bottom as well as the top ---oops maybey i shoud.nt have brought it  :ohmy:

grendel

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 13:22 »
LOL no more like a dip in the top, got the next one right though, as you probably know, sometimes the flour needs a little more or a little less water, just gave it a bit less and it was fine.
Grendel

Mrs Bee

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 13:37 »
Grendel

sorry iv,e not been replying but goiing through my bad day period -- and gredal does that mean you now get a hole in the bottom as well as the top ---oops maybey i shoud.nt have brought it  :ohmy:

Do not panic my old love ;) If you have bought a panasonic it will give great results :D

And if you get into difficulties or want any tips, ask me. I have had three of these for 10 years now and would not be without them.

Once you have a little play and experiment you will be up, up and away.  Trust me you will have great   fun with it.  ;) ;) ;)

Lardman

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 16:31 »
Do not panic my old love ;) If you have bought a panasonic it will give great results :D

The only time mine has let me down is when I've forgotten to add the water or yeast, but even then its no worse than my hand made bread  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 17:46 »

The only time mine has let me down is when I've forgotten to add the water or yeast, but even then its no worse than my hand made bread  :lol:

OK, I will come clean. I have on occasions done this too :blush: :blush:

But in my defence, it was when I was very busy and hadn't had much sleep. :ohmy:

In general and allowing for human error and stoopidity ::) a panasonic will give great bread so long as you remember to add the water and yeast, OOOOOO and the salt. Have forgotten that on an occasion and that was 'orrible   :blush: :blush:

heloise

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 20:44 »
I think it needs the Milk Powder, and usually some sugar too in order to give the yeast something to feed on.

I have just put a loaf in my breadmaker, using the same recipe as I always do.

500g Flour
1 tsp yeast
1.5 tbsp Milk Powder
1 tbsp Sugar
1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
1.5 tsp salt
260ml water

It goes in on a standard 4 hour cycle in my Panasonic bread maker, and usually turns out just perfect.

Just wanted to say that I bought some milk powder and tried the recipe given by Runwell Steve above and it turned out lovely, if a tiny bit salty for me. Next time I'll only use 1 tsp of salt. Finally, no more dwarf bread  :D
Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 20:47 by heloise »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44 »
Calling Jay. Have you got the bread machine yet?

How is it going? :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2012, 16:33 »
Calling Jay. Have you got the bread machine yet?

How is it going? :)

sorry mrs b not havinng a a good week the pani has been in my hallway since mon and car,rtt pick the box up.   heavv mother ar,nt they or is that just my body telling me i am goinng to die diddy bones and my waffle kmakerr cast iron ---no chance when i,m like this   :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2012, 19:07 »
Oh, I am sorry sweetheart :(

Rest up, think positive and next week is a new week and you may feel more positive and up to it.

Do take care. Thinking of you.
Di :)

snowdrops

« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2012, 17:55 »
totally from memory in the order it goes in the pan.......
1 2/3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon milk powder
1 level tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup wholemeal bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup white bread flour
1 cup wholemeal bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 tip of a teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon) vitamin c powder

and I cook on the full size loaf sandwich setting (3 hours)
the water can vary a little depending upon the flour from 1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups, if it rises then drops back slightly, reduce the water, if its uneven on top increase the water slightly.

Grendel

Hi Grendel,just made your recipe,put all ingredients in in the order you wrote.Couple of questions,why is the brown flour 1 cup followed later on by a 2nd cup of brown flour. Also the dough was very wet when I took it out of the bread maker,is it 1 2/3 cups of water? It's turned out rather heavy as if there's too much water or is it cos I did it on a dough cycle do you think. I can't get cooked loaves out of my b/maker without pulling them to pieces so I just use the dough cycle & shape & bake myself.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2012, 18:24 »
the first cup of flour means I put the salt over dry ingredients not in the water, then I add the rest of the flour before the yeast, this seperates the salt and yeast, if they go next to each other it seems to affect the yeast, this recipe seems to work best on a long cycle with plenty of rise time.
that said - with my new breadmaker I need less water- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups now  (maybe the old one was losing 1/4 cup before mixing started), I use the wholemeal setting at 3 hr 32min and found that the vitamin c works by stopping the action of one of the things that stop the bread rising properly (I posted on another of the bread threads the other day).
"vitamin C, which apparently counteracts the glutathione which is responsible for wholemeal bread's heavier texture. Half a 500mg tablet, crushed to a powder and added along with the yeast, is apparently sufficient to stop the pesky chemical in its tracks."
Grendel

snowdrops

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2012, 18:29 »
Thanks Grendel,I did put the ingredients in the order that you wrote,I'll try again with less water but as for cooking in the pan I'm not sure. Nothing I do gets it to come out,hubby can sometimes get it out,but I want too be able to do it easily.

xx
breadmaker

Started by francesann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

33 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:52
by madcat
xx
First time with my breadmaker........

Started by Slowgrind on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

46 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 13:50
by shokkyy
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 36 queries.