good old bread and butter pud

• 15 Replies

chrissie B

good old bread and butter pud
« on: April 14, 2012, 20:04 »
i remember the days when i hated this pudding totally and on no account would eat it , my experiences of it not being very nice , wet , and slimey just being 2 of my complaints , but while in greece i started to use village bread cut thickly and buttered , today i used a couple of old hot cross buns buttered and cut into chunks then i chopped up some rum and rasin chocolate added some cranberries , whisked up a couple of eggs little milk and a shosh of rum , sprinkled with coconut and mayple syrup and baked and wow it was fantastic , hubby most dissapointed when i told him i only did a small one to use up the buns , hes got me defrosting the ones in the freezer to do another one lol
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

Re: good old bread and butter pud
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 20:16 »
Oh I remember my mum's bread and marg pud :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Totally disgusting :tongue2: :tongue2:
Always thought that I hated B&B pud until The food prog in the 70's and ANton Mossiman did one.
Oh food of the gods :D It is now an art form and I have collected recipes that fill up 2 scrap books.

My fav is a dinner party dish. Fruit bread buttered and spread with homemade apricot and orange marmalade, layered with sultanas that have been soaked over night in Cointreau, and a mixture of cream. eggs and sugar. Served with whipped cream mixed with sieved apricot and orange marmalade and cointreau. :D :D

Remember making it on a self catering holiday with friends and there were left overs. My friend and I were first up and finished the rest for breakfast and we didn't even consider waking the others up to share :D

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 20:31 »
that sounds lovley , realy its a very versatile pud great for chucking all the leftover bits and pieces at
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 20:41 »
Indeed it is. ANd so addictive that I don't make it unless I have a houseful to eat it all in one go. There are only 2 things I can't resist, B&B pud and trifle.  :blush: :blush:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 21:54 »
You can also make it with pain au chocolat for a chocolate fix - yum  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 17:19 »
Or Delia's chocolate B&B pud with rum :tongue2:

We all seem to like good food on this forum don't we? :D :D

Eat to live or live to eat?

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 18:58 »
I love bread and butter pudding! My favourite recipe is for a peach and white chocolate version... yum!

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 19:39 »
ive don it with some chocolate brioch my daughter gave me that was great , i had to do it again today hubby was impressed
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 20:05 »
I love bread and butter pudding! My favourite recipe is for a peach and white chocolate version... yum!

Oooooo that does sound good. ANy chance of the recipe :)

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 21:51 »
I will write it up as soon as I find the book amongst the collection (the ONLY disadvantage to having lots of cookbooks  :lol::D

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 22:17 »

Lazy me - here's a scan instead of a write-up   :D

It's from 'Decadence' by Philip Johnson.  I do believe the book is now sadly out of print :(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:56 by irot »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07 »
Thanl you so much for that irot. You are a star:D :D :D

I can feel the pounds going on my ever increasing waistline just reading the recipe :wub:

I know what you mean about having lots of cookbooks. I have just had a cull of mine and got it down to just over 300 plus a folder of cuttings. :wub:

Think it is an addiction :(   Have made space on the shelves vowing to buy no more cookery magazines or cook books.

Have done quite well up to last Tuesday and then ordered the new Hairy Bikers book and replacements for 2 old battered preserving books and bought a Good Food baking magazine:blush: :blush:

I am so ashamed of myself :blush: But I suppose it doesn't hurt anyone and I use the books. :D :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21 »

Lazy me - here's a scan instead of a write-up   :D

Please could you put the book title and also the author in your post for copyright reasons, thanks.   :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:55 »

Lazy me - here's a scan instead of a write-up   :D

Please could you put the book title and also the author in your post for copyright reasons, thanks.   :)

Of course -  I should know that really, being a lecturer  :nowink:.  D'oh!

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57 »
Thanl you so much for that irot. You are a star:D :D :D

I can feel the pounds going on my ever increasing waistline just reading the recipe :wub:

I know what you mean about having lots of cookbooks. I have just had a cull of mine and got it down to just over 300 plus a folder of cuttings. :wub:

Think it is an addiction :(   Have made space on the shelves vowing to buy no more cookery magazines or cook books.

Have done quite well up to last Tuesday and then ordered the new Hairy Bikers book and replacements for 2 old battered preserving books and bought a Good Food baking magazine:blush: :blush:

I am so ashamed of myself :blush: But I suppose it doesn't hurt anyone and I use the books. :D :lol:

It really is an addiction! My wishlist is far, far too long :(  I got a Kindle to make space for my fiction books, but I still buy cookery books... so I haven't saved any space at all!    :blush:

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.