Misinformation

• 24 Replies

viettaclark

Misinformation
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:48 »
Boy! Do I get annoyed with these garden writers!
In the Guardian supplement today they are talking about when to sow what.
It clearly said it was too late to sow tomatoes and therefore to buy plants.
A quick dash to my seed packets.....March/April.
I have a sowing plan and I'm sticking to it.
Toms will be sown inside (for outdoor growing) at the end of this month otherwise they're too leggy.
(Maybe the writer has shares in a plant company......)

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Misinformation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:52 »
Mine aren't in yet either, they always catch up.  Is the writer a gardener or just a journo doing an article?
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56 »
I won't be sowing mine for another 2-3 weeks yet.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:35 »
If you read the article, I think saying it is too late to sow now allows the writer to promote a supplier who sells small plug plants in the next sentence.   

savbo

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 15:17 »
I found myself in been and queued yesterday, couldn't believe the size of smoe of the toms they're selling, but I suppose if you could guarantee to keep them frost-free you'll get a really early crop...

mine are just 2-3" tall

sav

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 15:27 »

Mine are just showing their cotyledons.     Must protect them these next few nights.       :ohmy:      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 15:46 »
I have four just about to flower but they are from a January sewing.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 15:53 »
I found myself in been and queued yesterday, couldn't believe the size of smoe of the toms they're selling, but I suppose if you could guarantee to keep them frost-free you'll get a really early crop...

mine are just 2-3" tall

sav

I did mention them in another post last week.  Thing is, a lot of newby growers will buy them and plant outside, then have to go back for more when they die!  I think that's what these companies hope for!   :(

As I have loads of tomato seeds, I planted some, thinking oh well if they don't germinate or the seedlings die, then I can sow more, but at the last count I had 106 seedlings coming up and doing well in the bubble wrapped greenhouse!   :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 15:57 »
My gosh, I thought I had gone mad with 65 plants.  :lol:  Shall we open a garden centre?

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 22:10 »

mine are just 2-3" tall

sav

I did mention them in another post last week.  Thing is, a lot of newby growers will buy them and plant outside, then have to go back for more when they die!  I think that's what these companies hope for!   :(

As I have loads of tomato seeds, I planted some, thinking oh well if they don't germinate or the seedlings die, then I can sow more, but at the last count I had 106 seedlings coming up and doing well in the bubble wrapped greenhouse!   :)

Our local been and queed has some nice cell grown runner bean plants. Anyone planting those out is certain of only one thing...failure. Late May/early June in this part of the world.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 22:58 »
Boy! Do I get annoyed with these garden writers!
In the Guardian supplement today they are talking about when to sow what.
It clearly said it was too late to sow tomatoes and therefore to buy plants.
A quick dash to my seed packets.....March/April.
I have a sowing plan and I'm sticking to it.
Toms will be sown inside (for outdoor growing) at the end of this month otherwise they're too leggy.
(Maybe the writer has shares in a plant company......)

Whilst I agree with everyone else your not to late I reckon considering where you are you could have sown some already, I'm in South Yorkshire and like you only grow outdoor Toms (red alert and Roma)(i've also sowed Marmande but it's a throw away crop unless we have a blistering summer) I sowed my 1st lot a couple of weeks ago and have just moved them into 3inch pots I sowed again today and will sow again on the 1st may. It's always worth a punt for early or late toms.
Faff free zone!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 23:01 »
In addition to location, it also depends whether you have a greenhouse - either heated or not - to grow the plants in.

Those of us without one have to wait until later to start seeds off because of limited space for growing on indoors, and the risk of putting them outdoors prematurely.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 23:14 »
In addition to location, it also depends whether you have a greenhouse - either heated or not - to grow the plants in.

Those of us without one have to wait until later to start seeds off because of limited space for growing on indoors, and the risk of putting them outdoors prematurely.

Yes I agree with that I only have a small unheated greenhouse so have to propagate tom seeds on window sills indoors much to the distaste of the female gestapo! Luckily once they get going they can go in the greenhouse during the day (although I don't think they enjoyed the 5° C they encountered this morning)

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 23:52 »
I only have window sills and a shelving unit in the french window and have 60+ tom plants to grow for outside as well as cucumbers, courgettes, beans etc.
In past years I have started earlier but I'd rather make sure I've got stocky plants than go for an earlier crop. They germinate quicker and there's more light for them.
Last year I grew 64 tom plants and although it was a lousy Summer I got a good crop although I had to ripen on windowsills because blight hit in September. I think there are still two bags of toms and a couple of jars of oven dried in olive oil in the freezer that I'm eking out till the first Sungolds!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 07:25 »
I can hardy keep up at work with the customers demanding runner beans, cucumbers and tomatoes.  I've got 'protect from frost & low temperature' signs all over the place and always tell people it is way too early to put them all out, but some folk are intent on getting going.

If I had a pound for every time I've had this conversation in the last few weeks, I'd be a millionaire  :lol:

Customer looking bemused at frost sign - is it too early for these to go out then ?

NS - yes Sir/Madam - if they get frosted or get too cold, they will not survive.  

Customer - so they can only go out after the last frost?

NS - Yes afraid so

Customer - so when will that be exactly ?

I'm good, but not that good  :nowink:  :lol:

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 37 queries.