This years experiment has started...

• 19 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
This years experiment has started...
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:37 »
I am not really growing anything new this year after what happened with the peanuts last year.
So this years little experiment is this..
Parsnip seed viability  ???

It is said that we have to use fresh seed every year with the eld snips. So I have three boxes of seed on the go, this years fresh seed as normal, last years seed and seed that I have found in the bottom of me seed tin, I am guessing by the date about three years ago.

All three containers have wet kitchen paper in them and put in a warm dark place to chit (my normal method)

To my suprise all seeds are chitting, there is no difference so far between last years and this years, and so far about 30% of the old ones have started to chit.

I am giving them another few days then they will be sown in their bed and time will tell about phase two of the experiment.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Kleftiwallah

Re: This years experiment has started...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:40 »

Carry on the good work and blow a few more 'myths' Aidy.    :happy:    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59 »
I was just about to throw out the remains of last years pack (seed sorting this morning) may have a rethink...
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01 »
Interesting. I have a few old packs in one of my seed tins so do keep us updated.  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02 »
I have successfully chitted 8 year old parsnip seed from unopened packets. Went on to grow good roots as well. The same seed I sowed in the ground didn't germinate.

will be interesting if you get similar results
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:33 »
I chitted old seed a couple of years ago, I found that the germination ranged from a day or two to several weeks!

The main problem with the crop was that despite being very gentle with the tiny roots, I ended up with a CyrilFletcherFest of bizarre roots.

Tasted fine but a b*gger to peel  :)

sav

safetrade

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 13:06 »
Think I will hang on to my old seeds aswell until you have concluded your experiment  ;)

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 16:32 »
Finally did get round to last years parsnips seeds, started chitting, and then forgot about them...  ::)

I can say I had 100% germination some long tap roots and leaves but all well too advanced to plant out. I should add the roots did seem incredibly strong; those that didn't pass through the upper piece of kitchen towel lifted it clear of all the others!

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 16:48 »
Peanuts??!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 18:06 »
Peanuts??!!!

A few have tried them in the past, why not do a forum search and have a read when you have some spare time. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52 »
I too experimented by sowing (outdoors) some of last year's Gladiator parsnip seed at the same time as a fresh packet of White Gem on 20th April and the Gladiator first showed on 17th May and look like they've done better overall than the White Gem!   ::)

I think you may have a point Aidy about the viability being longer than usually thought, although it's probably a lot to do with the fact that they are often sown in soil temperatures which are far colder than what is ideal for them, in which case they need to be as fresh as possible to stand the best chance of reasonable rates of germination.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:07 »
I have successfully chitted 8 year old parsnip seed from unopened packets. Went on to grow good roots as well. The same seed I sowed in the ground didn't germinate.

will be interesting if you get similar results

Although seed will often germinate for many years the speed of germination and the vigour of the seedlings diminishes. This is important in the ground to allow the plant to outgrow attacks from fungus, bacteria and biting pests.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56 »
As this has popped up I shall update the thread with findings so far.

All the old seed has come up, and is growing very well, in fact much better than the seed from this year (which is a different variety).

I have put another batch to chit in at home as very few are showing, these will do as baby snips if they dont grow to full size for Christmas dins.

picon

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 19:02 »
Joined this site just to say thank you. I live in France and parsnips are not always available and when they are can be a tad expensive. Growing my own is therefore essential. Well this year the slugs ate all my seedlings. What to do as I only had a packet of last years gladiator seeds left in the tin. So followed your experiment and success now have 30 parsnips growing. So thank you again and what a great site  :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 19:20 »
both mine from this year and last seam to be doing about the same.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

clip
This/Next years experiment.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2020, 10:51
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Pea experiment

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 17:25
by Salmo
xx
The Experiment!

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 10:19
by HHH
xx
Experiment

Started by scott87 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 13:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.902 seconds with 38 queries.