This years new thing is...........

• 50 Replies

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: This years new thing is...........
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 19:49 »
Asparagus Pea.   

oh, and Melon.  I'll have no chance with that, but I try to sow something as insurance if we have a scorching hot summer and everything else dies.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Growster...

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 20:31 »
We've been dlighted with Rainbow coloured leaf beet (Bright Lights), Fluffstermum!

It went in a bit late last year, but has hung on and we're taking great handfuls now, as it has started to grow again!

It'll go to seed soon, but the flavour and texture - and colour of course - is marvellous!

(It's just as well, as the seeds I sowed recently have been attacked by slugs...)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2012, 20:35 »
We are trying a purple mange tout called Shiraz this year.  We tried yellow last year for the first time,  so I am hoping to serve up three colour mange tout at the dinner table this year!

I grew okra last year in the greenhouse, although they produced something, they didn't produce much quantity.  I also grew tomatillos last year and was bitterly disappointed - they didn't seem to ripen in the greenhouse, I gave some seed to a fellow plotholder who did really well so it is obviously my greenhouse husbandry!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

fluffstermum

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2012, 21:06 »
We've been dlighted with Rainbow coloured leaf beet (Bright Lights), Fluffstermum!

It went in a bit late last year, but has hung on and we're taking great handfuls now, as it has started to grow again!

It'll go to seed soon, but the flavour and texture - and colour of course - is marvellous!

(It's just as well, as the seeds I sowed recently have been attacked by slugs...)

Thanks Growster, I was a little concerned it might taste yucky but it's pretty enough to grow it anyway! It does look funky. Fingers crossed some of the seeds germinate soon.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20 »

I also grew tomatillos last year and was bitterly disappointed - they didn't seem to ripen in the greenhouse, I gave some seed to a fellow plotholder who did really well so it is obviously my greenhouse husbandry!

Did you compare notes? I've got three "Dr. Wyches Yellow" Tomatillo seedlings doing very nicely and I would like to avoid failure so any advice would be gratefully received. How many plants did you grow? I've been told that two are sufficient due to their rampant behaviour and that you need more than one for successful pollination.

Mike

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10 »

I also grew tomatillos last year and was bitterly disappointed - they didn't seem to ripen in the greenhouse, I gave some seed to a fellow plotholder who did really well so it is obviously my greenhouse husbandry!

Did you compare notes? I've got three "Dr. Wyches Yellow" Tomatillo seedlings doing very nicely and I would like to avoid failure so any advice would be gratefully received. How many plants did you grow? I've been told that two are sufficient due to their rampant behaviour and that you need more than one for successful pollination.

Mike

Haven't had a chance to catch up with the plotholder this year so far as I keep missing her.  I grew 6 plants, they produced fruit but the fruits simply didn't ripen.  If I get a chance to speak with the other plotholder, I will post back.

clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
Next years tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2022, 17:13
by New shoot
xx
If this was 200 years ago!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 13:24
by LivvyW
xx
It's only taken 14 years...

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 10:35
by surbie100

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 36 queries.