Asparagus problems

• 9 Replies

ChrisWesely

Asparagus problems
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:03 »
Hi folks,

I'm hjoping someone can help me.

I planted asparagus seeds "Colossal" three years ago and have left them to mature before cropping for the first time this year.
Last year there was a lot of asparagus beetle, which I dealt with though not comprehensively (lots of crushing and some spraying), so I would not be surprised if there were over-wintering eggs in the soil.

This year, the spears have been emerging for a few weeks now, but many of them are very sick. They are yellow, appear "wet" and the stems have collapsed in, causing the spears to fall over. Very unappetising.

Cutting them open and looking at them inside and out I very carefully, I see no evidence of beetles, grubs or eggs. Nothing in the soil samples I took either. No photos I've nor symptom descriptions I've seen on the web look like mine do, so I'm flumoxed, and any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. There is a photo here:

Many thanks,.
Chris

[edited to show photo]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 18:48 by Yorkie »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33 »
Best guess: slugs and snails like to have a nibble at asparagus and can cause the spear to grow mis-shapen and damaged - how much so depends on how big a bite was taken out of it and how young the spear was when attacked.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 13:09 »
I am sorry to say this sounds like it could be violet root rot, which cannot be rectified.

If it is, then you will need to burn the plants, as it is very contagious.

Can you post a photo please?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 18:49 »
I am sorry to say this sounds like it could be violet root rot, which cannot be rectified.

If it is, then you will need to burn the plants, as it is very contagious.

Can you post a photo please?

I've edited Chris' original post to show the photo he linked to as an image in his post.

I don't know the answer to the question though!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 00:36 »
I was going to suggest frost but with no real conviction. Violet root rot may well be correct as asparagus is suseptable to it but I have only seen it in carrots and potatoes.

Where abouts are you. Violet root rot is quite common in the peat soils of the Cambridgeshire Fens. Carrots, potatoes and many other root crops are suseptable. I think it likes damp acid soil.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:04 »
My first guess was frost and I did find one picture of spears very similar to yours but the pic was so small that I couldn't be certain. Apparently the spears can be caught by heavy late frosts and suffer this kind of damage, possibly down to the roots.

Suggest you have a careful dig around the roots of the damaged ones and see what's going on. If you see a violet mold around the roots, then you know what you have. If it's just a rotting mess, then it was deep frost.

If you do find the mold, here's what you need to do. Be aware that this rot can linger in soil for years and spread very easily so wear disposable gloves when handling it.

ChrisWesely

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24 »
Hi folks, and thanks for all your help so far.

Addressing your points: there are no signs of munching. I am in Bedford, UK. The symptoms I researched don't seem to match violet root rot.

Since i posted, I spoke to my plot neighbour, who says he has some of the same problem on his asparagus and points out that we had a -4 degree frost a week or so ago which he suspects to be the culprit.

I'm hoping that was it, and if it was, then I shuold see normal spears emerging very soon.

Fingers crossed & Thanks again,
Chris

seanh

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 13:37 »
Hi
I live just south of you in Harpenden and the same thing has happened to mine.  I'm pretty sure its frost as the next few coming up look absolutely fine.   

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 21:06 »
Since my earlier reply I have seen a number of shoots on our allotments looking exactly like yours which convinces my that frost is the culprit.

A lot of asparagus this year seems to have just put its head above the surface and stopped. We had a sharp frost last night which has made some tips soft. I suspect they will look like those in the photos very soon.

The old hands say that these slow growing spears will taste bitter anyway so they might as well be cut and composted.

Lets hope we get some warm weather soon to bring on the next lot.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58 »
The spears don't look 'wet' enough for violet root rot , as far as I can tell from the picture.

It might well be frost damage as several have suggested.

Cut out and dispose of any damaged one and see how the new spears fare, is what I'd do now

Good photo btw  :D

xx
Asparagus and cat problems

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:39
by Goosegirl
xx
Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please

Started by steve Lord on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 09:51
by steve Lord
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.867 seconds with 29 queries.