Doing as little as possible

• 31 Replies

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Doing as little as possible
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:05 »
Am I alone in trying to get as much off my plot with the least amount of effort?  I think not!

I can't understand why other plot holders dig over their plots every year.  What happened to the principle of No-Dig?

I can't get my head round watering the plot - I've never needed to, so why start now?

If I grow strong transplants at home then plant them out what more is there to do?

For most of the year I just hoe and watch it grow!  Surely I'm not alone?

Tom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:38 by goodtogrow »
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

compostqueen

Re: Doing as little as possible
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:24 »
No, you're not. I am a non digger but generally keep quiet about it as the conversation usually turns into all the reasons why I should be digging, so why go there  :lol:

If folks want to water their plots then that's a matter for them. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56 »
It depends what you call 'digging'  ;)

The bit where my spuds go gets dug when I'm planting and lifting them.
The rest gets forked over a bit, now and again...................does that count as digging or not?  :D

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:04 »
It also depends on your soil, I have to dig one plot every 4 years so it makes sense to me that I dig the spud patch.  I have good soil but it is on the clay side so if I did not dig occasionally it would get too compacted.  As I have two plots and do it on my own it makes sense not to have to dig it all every year.

I do not think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way, just anyway that makes you and your veg happy is the right way.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17 »
No, mumofstig, I was referring to end-to-end cultivation of the plot as being an example of not
'doing as little as possible'.

Along with LilacSandy you make a compelling point about spuds - digging them up, from a different part of the plot each year, means that the whole plot gets dug over, eventually, anyway.

No suggestion from me, LilacSandy, that's there's a 'right' and 'wrong' way.  Just that there's a minimum effort way.  Yes, soil type will be an influence, but if we keep the organic matter up soil condition is not a problem.  It's most likely we don't keep organic matter levels up, and compensate for that in various ways, including digging and watering.

Thanks for your replies.

Tom

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:18 »
Am I alone in trying to get as much off my plot with the least amount of effort?  I think not!

I can't understand why other plot holders dig over their plots every year.  What happened to the principle of No-Dig?

I can't get my head round watering the plot - I've never needed to, so why start now?

If I grow strong transplants at home then plant them out what more is there to do?

For most of the year I just hoe and watch it grow!  Surely I'm not alone?

Tom
Does it depend on what you want to grow? If like me you want to grow tomatoes and beans, and other crops that need watering, then you have to water.  If, like me, you have a really small place to grow stuff you have to maximise your space but still be able to get to the crops, so you walk on part of the plot (my plot is too small to waste valuable space having wide paths), so next year I’ll have to dig the compacted soil over.
Just because it is good for your selection of crops, and for your life style choices, doesn’t mean that people who want something different, are wrong nor does it give anyone the right to be condescending or look down on them.    
small scale gardener, large scale eater

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20 »
Funny how emotive the subject of digging always gets  :unsure:

Each to their own, to suit their soil, the crop and their own inclination is how I see it  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:27 »
As i am now not healthy to dig or carry water as some surgon has taken some of my spine away last year, you are saying i did not need to dig or water my plot.
Oh well given it up now, may be for the best and i have my garden.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41 »
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

The real pains are those who pontificate that their way of skinning is better than the others.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:46 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:45 »
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

The real pain's are those who pontificate that their way of skinning is better than the others.

Preeesizleee  :D 8)

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33 »
Lugging a watering can back and forth is hellish on the arms, elbows and shoulders so I don't do it unless it's an emergency. We don't usually have to wait long for rain do we  :)

Kim50

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13 »
I do like digging but i also like the no digging approach.  Only water when first planting then the plants are left to get on with it...

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15 »
Lugging a watering can back and forth is hellish on the arms, elbows and shoulders so I don't do it unless it's an emergency. We don't usually have to wait long for rain do we  :)

But it was brilliant last year for my bingo wings  :lol:

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 12:49 »
it depends on how you put nutrients back into your soil,  if you cover it with manure then it will need digging in surely . i also find if i turn a bed over at the end of the year i have less to weed at bthe start of the year as they stay quite clean and it doesnt take much effort if done regular
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 13:20 »
Definitely an emotive issue this!   :)

I'd love raised beds now with my bad joints, but Brian is of the Big Dig brigade, so I make him do the rotavating, and he did a bit of digging the other week!   ;) ;)

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 38 queries.