Sprouts

• 14 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Sprouts
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:32 »
My sprout seedlings have been in the coldframe for the last couple of weeks and are about four inches high. I have a couple of questions. Can they be planted outside yet or are they still too small/it's too early to plant them out. Should I pot them on and wait until they're a little bigger?

Also, is there anything I should do to prepare the ground for them, for example, do they need manure or, like carrots, they don't need the stuff. And another question - will the plants need staked?

A lot of questions I know... just want to do right by them.  :)
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

mattwragg94

Re: Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57 »
ive put the majority of my brassicas in the ground - and they where around 3 inches high - so i would say that they are fine to go in.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 13:15 »
As I understand it, sprouts like well-compacted ground to grow in, and need no support.

The ones I'm clearing from my allotment certainly have no support and whilst some have fallen, the majority are (were) upright.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 13:19 »
I'd agree about the firm soil.  All brassicas like that so not the time to start digging in manure.

Brassicas are tough so they could go out, but do net them or the pigeons will strip them down to stalks. They will need some hefty stakes in time as the tops get very heavy  :)

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 16:45 »
That's brilliant - thanks chaps  :D Good call about the netting, we do have some very fat wood pigeons about here (they drive the chooks crazy)  :blink:

tonel

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 18:47 »
Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit but have a question about planting out sprouts and other brassicas - we have some that have been in the coldframe for a while now and quite large (couple of sets of leaves) and been hardened off (lid has been off for a while now). Question is, the stems (between soil in the cell and seed leaves) are quite long and spindly..how deep should the seedlings be planted? Same sort of level as they are now or would up to the base of the seed leaves be too deep? Any advice much appreciated (as usual!)  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 19:02 »
Even deeper would be OK. It would give the plant better support.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tonel

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 20:15 »
Thanks for the advice, was worried that maybe the stems might rot or something if I planted them deeper. Got some brussels, caulis and summer cabbages ready to go out - have the day off tomorrow so looking forward to getting lots done at the plot (going to sow some sugersnap peas too, new one for us!)

Goldfinger

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 20:38 »

You say 'stake', do you mean a small fence post, or would a good cane do the same job??

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 20:39 »
I dont stake mine at all. Plant them in firm soil and they have always been fine - and thats with the plot where i am being very windy.

Goldfinger

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 20:46 »

Forgot to add, we all have problems on our plots with sprouts/ tall stuff. The soil is sooo light, anything that takes on any height, starts to lean or fall over.  :(

There was a rumour before I got my plot, someone had used one of those petrol wacker plates on their plot to firm the soil before they planted their brassicas one year!!  :ohmy:   :blink:

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 20:48 »
There was a rumour before I got my plot, someone had used one of those petrol wacker plates on their plot to firm the soil before they planted their brassicas one year!!  :ohmy:   :blink:

:ohmy:

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 20:48 »
Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit but have a question about planting out sprouts and other brassicas - we have some that have been in the coldframe for a while now and quite large (couple of sets of leaves) and been hardened off (lid has been off for a while now). Question is, the stems (between soil in the cell and seed leaves) are quite long and spindly..how deep should the seedlings be planted? Same sort of level as they are now or would up to the base of the seed leaves be too deep? Any advice much appreciated (as usual!)  :)

My seed leaves often get buried in the dirt and I plant them at the base of the first true leaves never found it to be detrimental, the only brassica that doesn't need as firm a footing seems to be cabbage IMO. The firmer and deeper you plant sprouts and cauli the better they seem to do.

In answer to the OP if you haven't manured yet it's to late so try a good dose of chicken manure pellets, and don't forget to lime the holes before you plant.
Faff free zone!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 20:50 »

Forgot to add, we all have problems on our plots with sprouts/ tall stuff. The soil is sooo light, anything that takes on any height, starts to lean or fall over.  :(

We have quite a decent sandy/loam soil on our plots not the best for brassicas, there's a heavy lawn roller that does the rounds.

Goldfinger

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 21:22 »

:ohmy:

Yeah, I work in the plant and machinery hire business, so I know what they should be used on!

xx
sprouts

Started by plot29 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 16:09
by Goosegirl
xx
sprouts

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 17:22
by Totty
xx
Sprouts

Started by Solidthegreat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 09:09
by potatogrower
xx
Sprouts

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 16:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 29 queries.