Advice on planting leeks please!

• 16 Replies

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on planting leeks please!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 22:10 »
Yeah - i had actualy read up on this previously and from memory there is some who think it a good idea and others that dont.

Personally whilst i dont plant them at pencil thickness they always fatten up and turn out ok so im going to leave them as normal. I may do a short row with trimming them to see if there is any difference in the two with the same growing conditions. :)

I may very well join you in an experiment!  :D In that video he is planting out at "wax crayon" rather than "Pencil" stage   :). I wonder if I should leave them in the germination box a little longer?

Salmo

Re: Advice on planting leeks please!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 22:31 »
As an alternative to dibbing holes and planting them you can put a piece of downpipe size pipe over them with the leek plant at ground level.

This is a show technique and ensures that no earth gets in them. It is too fiddly for normal crops.

Do not backfill the pipe. The pipe should never cover more than 2/3rds of the plant. Start with 8 inch pipes and either change them for longer ones or add sections held on with gaffer tape.

If this is done where you sow without transplanting it is quite a relevation how much bigger these are than the same batch dibbed into holes. Transplanting and dibbing check the plants more than we think.

xx
Planting leeks

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 16:42
by Jim T
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 21:22
by mumofstig
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 14:43
by jerrynl
xx
Help with planting out leeks

Started by Nikkicola on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 22:24
by Nikkicola

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 35 queries.