Help what do I do nxt goldie on eggs?

• 26 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
Help what do I do nxt goldie on eggs?
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:28 »
Afternoon to you all, I have a hen sitting on 10 eggs, what do I do as we would like to have the pitter patter of little feet, goldie has been on the nest for 2 days now, I’ve put some water in & corn she is in the hutch do I need to move her or will she sit there till they hatch I have marked the eggs so I can see the new eggs, hope we can get a good result. Any help will be good, I was thinking about getting an incubator but I can buy a lot of chicks for that plus its not ours as in chicks, do I have to put her in a small hut on her own? Plz help 
eggs on 11-4-12 web size.jpg
goldie on eggs web size.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help what do I do nxt goldie on eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36 »
I am assuming you do have a cockerel otherwise they won't be fertile.
If so and you want her to hatch then just lift her off the eggs once or twice a day so she can eat, drink, exercise and pooh.
Place her food outside of the bedding area so she does go out. I also still let mine run round with the others during this time so they don't forget who she is.
Get ready for little ones by buying chick crumb a chick drinker and chick feeder.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41 »
yes rockie has been doing his job lol is there a def do & dont ? & thank you

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 13:00 »
Just out of interest, how did you mark the eggs?

Pencil is safest.  ;)

Also, will the other girls continue laying in the same box?

splash101

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 13:07 »
I'm also in the same situation and also on day 2. (though not her own eggs as we dont have a cockerel so sourced some fertilised ones)

Can i also ask, she has been dashing out, eating drinking pooping and dashing back in but this morning she also had a run around with the others. How long can she leave the nest for without it effecting the incubation?

Im sure im worrying about nothing and should just let her get on with it

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 13:16 »
she can be off the eggs for hours and you won't have a problem (one of mine got shut out of a broody coop by accident for all afternoon but most still hatched).
Broodies are prone to lice so whilst she is sitting it is best to give them a good treatment of frontline.
Apart from that leave her and the eggs well alone.

splash101

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 13:49 »
thanks joyful, i was getting a bit worried she had forgotten her responsibilites.

have the frontline ready just need to do it, i want to do all of them at the same time so i dont lose track of who has been done and hasnt been done. I think that would be easier when they come out in the morning. looks like another job in my dressing gown

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 13:55 »
You have got your broody hen in a separate coop haven't you? If so (and you should have) it will be easy to do her  :)

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 14:07 »
No I haven't but should I put her on her own & how? & yes pencil

splash101

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 14:10 »
yes i've got mine seperate, thanks for your help, no doubt i will be calling on you again.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 14:22 »
I cant really keep her separate but if i have to then i can put her in a large dog cage! ah & what keep her in there all the time?

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 14:53 »
She needs her own coop and run as she will be in there for quite a few weeks. 3 weeks whilst incubating her eggs and then for up to 8 weeks after whilst raising her chicks. She will decide when she wants to go back to the main coop and her babies should follow her.
I allow my broody to bring her chicks out if she wants when they are just a couple of days old but only for a few hours and after they have had their own feed - chick feed if medicated is not suitable for laying hens (broodies can eat it as they won't be laying).

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 16:16 »
A decent size rabbit hutch is good for your broody so that the chicks don't have any ramps or ladders to fall down.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 18:09 »
ANHBUC, its just what I've done she is in there all bedded down, though I cant put a perch  in there I guess she will be on the eggs dum dum!! shall I still put in some layers pellets? & shall I let her out now & gain through the day or just leave her ?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 18:23 »
I have mine nested in the night area of the hutch and the food and water in the day area (where the weldmesh door is).  The broodies have been coming off the nest to feed and drink on their own.  I clear the broody poo up each day so I know they have been out.  One has been pooing just outside of the nest so I check and remove that each day.

One lot are due to hatch today so I have put a dish with pebbles and water in near the nest so mum can get a drink.  I have also put some layers pellets close so she can have a feed but will be taking that away and replacing with chick crumb.

Good luck with your hatch.   :)

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 37 queries.