Broad Beans

• 4 Replies

mattwragg94

Broad Beans
« on: April 10, 2012, 18:06 »
As some of you may know im on another gardening forum (which is very similar to this) and there is a seed swop thread on there and someone is giving away some Mr Townend broad bean seeds - they apparently got them from a HSL seed swop last year and saved the seeds from the plants they grew.

anyway all i want to know is have you grown this variety before and what where they like - ive looked all over the web aswell as this site, but i cant seem to find much out about them!

thanks,
matt.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 18:40 by Ice »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 20:23 »
As some of you may know im on another gardening forum (which is very similar to this) and there is a seed swop thread on there and someone is giving away some Mr Townend broad bean seeds - they apparently got them from a HSL seed swop last year and saved the seeds from the plants they grew.

anyway all i want to know is have you grown this variety before and what where they like - ive looked all over the web aswell as this site, but i cant seem to find much out about them!

thanks,
matt.

Why not go to the other forum and PM the person giving away the seeds and ask them what they were like ?

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 20:43 »
well she put in her post that they where heavy croppers and that they tasted great both when picked young and old - it looks like noone has grown them on this forum before - oh well maybe they are a heritage and rare variety (just checked on HSL and they dont have any info on them). I will be growing them purely for seed saving this year - hopefully i might be able to pass some on too  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 21:08 »

...  heavy croppers and that they tasted great both when picked young and old ...

Seems you have your answer :)

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 21:14 »
i know but i just wanted to know a bit more about them - i.e. are they really a heritage variety, and does that variety actually exist! - but i suppose it doesn't matter.

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.