Seems like its all getting on top of me

• 32 Replies

Dopey113

Seems like its all getting on top of me
« on: April 10, 2012, 13:44 »
Is it still early in the year for everything? i have loads of seedlings have planted things but because i dont know what the heck im doing, i dont know if im planting stuff at the right time, i haven't planted my seeds for example for, toms, q cumber, i dont want to miss out on things, or am i just being stupid? and there's plenty of time, seems like when i do have the time to plant out, it rains or something, i did some beans outside (started in the poly) and there all dead from frost, i know i did them too early, but its that i had the time to do them then and just took the chance, can i just put the seed in the ground and do it that way, or am i too late? i do read up, but im NOT and organised person and there's so much in my head, i forget as well
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

jay001

• Experienced Member
Re: Seems like its all getting on top of me
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 14:06 »
i dont know much myself but have been so early myself have lost lots veg and flower,s started in my ground floor flat ( nice and warm ) all getting too leggy and weak :( binned loads-- started afresh -- listened to what people said on here for topics that caught my eye --- waited for the  right time to pot on --- and most of all i learned------------- patience  :D  :D
cheers jay  8)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 14:07 »
Having done all your research the only thing that seems to be missing is a large piece of paper and a sharp pencil (if your head is anything like mine it's not the right place to be storing lengthy plans for a whole growing season!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

plum crumble

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 14:12 »
calm down dear

as my furry friend Jay says, just order the facts you have already found out on paper, or electronically if that suits, and you will instantly by in control.....
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

savbo

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 14:17 »
and remember, a plan isn't what you're actually going to do, it's the way you can see how far off the plan you are...

I'm well behind on my sowing plan, but I can see that actually I'm still well within the recommended dates so it is possible to catch up. If all I had was the pile of unsown seeds I'd be more worried!

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 14:25 »
calm down dear

as my furry friend Jay says, just order the facts you have already found out on paper, or electronically if that suits, and you will instantly by in control.....

hey plummy !! --- who you calling furry ?  :D and i now have so many peices of paper with notes and advice on from here i cannot see my carpet  :tongue2:  :D

plum crumble

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 14:29 »
 ::) JayG be furry! I have no idea if you are!
 :nowink:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 14:50 »
::) JayG be furry! I have no idea if you are!
 :nowink:

oops soz  :blush: thought you meant me  :D --- some day,s furry --some days not -- all depends how the body is working hence not trusting myself with a razor  :D  :D

mrs mud

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 14:55 »
Every year I start off with best intentions and write down the first sowings...sometimes even a quickly sketched diagram, then it all goes down hill and my usual hap hazard approach kicks in.  People have bought me lovely note books but alas...they remain unused!
"Potters always play dirty!"

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 14:57 »
calm down dear

Think you'll have to stick to "JayG" my little barmy buddy (my christian name isn't actually "Jay" anyway!)

hey plummy !! --- who you calling furry ?  :D and i now have so many peices of paper with notes and advice on from here i cannot see my carpet  :tongue2:  :D

Too many! One plan on one piece of paper is more than enough!  ;)

JayG (a little furrier than average, although I've seen some strange women in my time!)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 14:58 »
Don't know if you've read this link:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

It'll give general info on when to start items. But for now, you can start toms, celery, celeriac, sweet and hot peppers. These need to stay indoors while they size up and until the weather properly warms up unless you have greenhouses for later.

Cukes take off fast so leave them until almost the last minute.

Peas can be direct seeded now or started in guttering, etc if you have rodent problems. Same with onions and leeks. If you have onion sets, they can go in now despite weather - they're super tough.

Beans need to wait a bit until more moderate weather.

plum crumble

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 15:00 »
calm down dear

Think you'll have to stick to "JayG" my little barmy buddy (my christian name isn't actually "Jay" anyway!)

I knows that - it was a typo, honest  :blush:

safetrade

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 15:30 »
I printed the sowing chart off here,I made 3 copies and laminated them.I have one in the greenhouse,one in the allotment shed and one in the house I'm just following that as near as I can ;)

Dopey113

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 15:42 »
I've calmed down a bit looking at the link  :lol: I can plant most things (mostly the same things) this month and next, im thinking i MUST plant this thing this week or im going to miss out and its going to be too late, but i can see now from the link you gave, i can plant the same things month after month, so its not as bad as i thought, give it a few week and i will post another panic attack.... thanks everyone

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 15:44 »
I think reading the seed packet is a good place to start. Follow what it says and you won't be sowing at the wrong time

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 38 queries.