Glyphosate Questions...

• 20 Replies

teabelly

Glyphosate Questions...
« on: April 09, 2012, 15:21 »
Hi everyone

There are a couple of areas on the plot that I am considering using Glyphosate to get the weeds gone but I have a couple of questions beofre heading out and spending the money...

How close can I apply Glyphosate to 'plants I want to keep'?

and...

How long do I have to leave it before I can plant something in an area that has been treated with Glyphosate?

prakash_mib

Re: Glyphosate Questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 15:28 »
Hi everyone

There are a couple of areas on the plot that I am considering using Glyphosate to get the weeds gone but I have a couple of questions beofre heading out and spending the money...

How close can I apply Glyphosate to 'plants I want to keep'?

and...

How long do I have to leave it before I can plant something in an area that has been treated with Glyphosate?

question on how close: it depends on whether you are brushing or spraying. spraying will drift to other plants and I wouldn't do it near the edible plants. brushing will work but it is easy only for broad leaved weeds

how long: please read the lable and ofcourse take double the time specified before planting fruit and veg.
 :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

noshed

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 15:30 »
If the glyphosate touches anything - it's generally a goner, so be careful when spraying. Use a shield of some sort if you can.
You can use the cleared soil straight away for other stuff.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 15:55 »
Make sure the weeds are actively growing before applying, you also need a clear 6 hours with no rain or dew. Broad leaved weeds generally succumb quicker than grasses.

As has been said use a shield to protect plants you want to keep.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

PupStar

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 16:41 »
Another quick tip is that if you have weeds with waxy leaves then mix a little washing up liquid with your mix as this will help the glyphosate absorb into the leaves better.

Regards

Mark

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 19:26 »
I used to use the paint on glyphosate but this year my garden centre told me it had been discontinued. The nearest they could offer me had a plastic applicator with holes in (bit like a push-up deodorant). I've tried this on some weeds coming up close to my veg and as far as I can tell it's had absolutely no effect on them. Definitely wasn't because of rain, cos it was in my polytunnel.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 20:00 »
I used to use the paint on glyphosate but this year my garden centre told me it had been discontinued.

Can't you just use normal roundup and get a paint brush?  Thats what I have always done, it's probably the same stuff anyway, just in a different pack so they can charge you more.

At the end of the day glyphosate is glyphosate, as long as it touches the leaves of the weeds they will die.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 20:02 »
I used to use the paint on glyphosate but this year my garden centre told me it had been discontinued.

Can't you just use normal roundup and get a paint brush?  Thats what I have always done, it's probably the same stuff anyway, just in a different pack so they can charge you more.

At the end of the day glyphosate is glyphosate, as long as it touches the leaves of the weeds they will die.

i do this. Just out some in a dish and brush it against weeds. I do it more in the garden for weeds that down at the plot as we actually have more weeds at home

(Must spend more time at home instead of the plot!! :tongue2:)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 20:07 »
To be honest, I'd assumed they made the two products with different consistencies. I'd have thought a liquid that sprayed well would be less viscous than one that brushed well without running all over the place. I'll have to give it a try.

PupStar

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 20:36 »
normal roundup is about 7 grammes per litre glyphosate and in my experience is just not strong enough (well it was not strong enough for the die hards in my garden/plot).

The stuff I use/used contains 360 grammes per litre of glyphosate and required much less coverage and was by far more effective than roundup.

Although I have now ridden most of my garden and plot of the toughest weeds I will not be using it again and will now pick the weeds out as I find them (maybe just wishfull thinking)

Mark

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 21:44 »
normal roundup is about 7 grammes per litre glyphosate and in my experience is just not strong enough (well it was not strong enough for the die hards in my garden/plot).

The stuff I use/used contains 360 grammes per litre of glyphosate and required much less coverage and was by far more effective than roundup.

Although I have now ridden most of my garden and plot of the toughest weeds I will not be using it again and will now pick the weeds out as I find them (maybe just wishfull thinking)

Mark
Monsanto Roundup is the father of Glyphosate spray. 'Roundup' you get in the garden centre is weak as pee but there is agricultural 'Roundup' at 360g/l and 540g/l both meant as agricultural herbicide only. Monsanto's monopoly on glyphosate ran out years ago and there are now many generic brands out there. It's the glyphosate salt that 's the active part which kills anything plant based if it touches it (especially the agricultural stuff!)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 21:50 »
Any herbicide that is for professional use only cannot be recommended for use by amateurs on this forum to keep us this side of the law. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 21:58 »
Not sure if you have the same regs in the UK, but in Canada you must attend classes and pass an annual certification to use agricultural strength glyphosphate.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 22:10 »
Any herbicide that is for professional use only cannot be recommended for use by amateurs on this forum to keep us this side of the law. :)
Here here! To legally buy agricultural roundup you MUST have at least PA1 certification and be either a farmer or professional applicator with the correct PA certificate to comply with the manner in which you want to apply it (either knapsack or boom sprayer).  You MUST also only use the product in accordance with the label which in itself is covered under the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986.

teabelly

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 22:17 »
So are we saying there's not much point in me buying any for clearing parts of the plot?  :unsure:

xx
using glyphosate just now

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 18:11
by diospyros
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua
xx
No Glyphosate R....up

Started by sunnywillow on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 22:25
by sunnywillow
xx
Glyphosate

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 11:21
by New shoot

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 37 queries.