Wickes Compost........

• 10 Replies

Yana

Wickes Compost........
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:05 »
Noticed that Wickes compost is being advertised as a 'new formula'. I've used it for a few years and had no problem, but reading the reviews of the new version, buyers don't seem too happy.

Anyone got ay experience of the new formula and if so, what is it like? Anywhere else I should be looking for compost? B and Q didn't seem that good either.

Thanks  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Wickes Compost........
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12 »
That's why we have this thread each year  ;) It's quite long, but most brands are covered by now :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88535.msg982958#msg982958

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26 »
The general consensus seems to be that it is rubbish, lots of reports of woody twiggy bits in it and Wickes themselves also added a sign to the product saying it was not suitable for sowing seeds in so they must have had more than a few complaints.

The link mumofstig gave you above will give you all the information as said it has most brands in there with multiple comments :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34 »
From reviews.wickes.co.uk:

Response from Wickes:By Wickes Gardening Team, 09 March 2012

Wickes Multipurpose Compost now has a new look and feel, with a new and improved formula. We are confident that when you use this product and see the results you can achieve, you will have a much more positive opinion of it, however, please note that this product is not suitable for planting seeds.

The shredded wood mentioned by some customers actually contains an exciting new wood fibre technology (and is not just for ‘bulking out’). This material is sterilised, pest and weed-free and is manufactured using a patented process. The fibres created using this process provide a lot of benefits, such as improved air spaces for root respiration and growth, easier wetting – so avoiding dry spots in pots, improved drainage – so no risk of water-logging, a drier surface to avoid growth of moss and liverworts, and also a lower density – making it easier to handle.

Make of that what you will, and also the fact (rumour?) that they are going to drop the current product and revert to the previous formulation (but I don't know when or whether the old stock will be flogged off or removed first.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yana

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:09 »
Thanks. I'll go the link and have a good read.
It is soooooooo annoying when you find a product that suits and then it gets changed!   :mad:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:01 »
Me too Yana.

Mind you, if they sell it off cheap it will bulk up the clay soil at the plot just nicely  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:11 »
I would probably have bought the explanation JayG quoted if they decided to stand by the product and not change it back to the old formulation, if the quote was the case then surely they would stans by the product, oh well if it is going cheap then I am sure I can find a use for a few bags :)

Yana

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36 »
It will be ok for the raised beds I have built, mixed with soil as well, but still disappointing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:51 »
The fact that Wickes had to produce a warning that something labelled and sold as Multi-purpose was not actually suitable for seed sowing speaks volumes about the size of the clanger they dropped!

If they do re-introduce the old formulation it will be a triumph for "people-power" (and forums like this one, of course!  ;)) although not much consolation for people like me who already have 4 bags of the stuff.

Yana

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:58 »
I know what you mean. I'm using the last of two bags and a real nuisance if I have to now source a different supply.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 14:19 »
The fact that Wickes had to produce a warning that something labelled and sold as Multi-purpose was not actually suitable for seed sowing speaks volumes about the size of the clanger they dropped!

If they do re-introduce the old formulation it will be a triumph for "people-power" (and forums like this one, of course!  ;)) although not much consolation for people like me who already have 4 bags of the stuff.

They also state it is an improved formula which is funny as they state its no good for seeds, i used the better formula for the past three years and i wont be touching the " improved " version

xx
How good is Wickes MP compost

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 15:52
by sunshineband
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence

Page created in 1.28 seconds with 38 queries.