How much do you think it will cost you

• 35 Replies

Dopey113

How much do you think it will cost you
« on: April 07, 2012, 00:06 »
No water, no veg.... been talking to some of the guys on my lotty and some are of the opinion that its just not worth growing anything this year, now if you didn't grow anything and had to shop for your veg, how much ££ are you losing out on, and dont forget, your paying a years rent to grow nothing, so you lose that already, i dont know myself, because this would have been my first year, but it makes you think dont it... the price of veg now, people are even stealing it from allotments
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 00:36 by Dopey113 »
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Mrs Bee

Re: How much do you think it will cost you
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 00:18 »
Perhaps we should tally up and make an estimate and see if we can claim it back from our water companies ;)

They could pay us from their bonuses and profits >:(

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:59 »
Are you saying you have no water supply?  That's a bitch!

I'm in my first year too & I was told this was a money saving hobby.  I've spent more enriching my soil this winter than I did on Veg in the last two years!  :unsure: (no stock of manure/compost so bought loads of B&Q 'Farmyard Manure' bags)

Mind you, this may be due to the fact that I haven't enjoyed veg (other than salads) in the past. 

This stuff better grow & be like nectar from the gods   :lol:
Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:36 »
Allotments do cost money and it is a disappointment if you don't get good returns in crops, but how much would you spend elsewhere if you were not at the allotment?
This year may be bad for some due to the weather, but next may be really good. I have never yet had a year when I have failed with everything, though something fails every year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52 »
No water does not mean no veg, so don't write off your entire crop.

The quantity of harvest may be down, but counterbalance this with the fact that the suppliers will be suffering from the same shortages, (if it happens) and their prices will rocket.

If we do get a drought, don't compare the value of what produce you do get to what we're currently paying.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01 »
I'd agree with that.  If you have enriched your soil that will help a lot with water retention and most crops need a lot less watering than people seem to think they do.  

We never have been allowed hosepipes at my site, but we do have water for handwatering.  I get by and if it goes really dry, I pick and choose what I plant to minimise the watering burden.  I'm already planning to plant through weed control fabric for some crops this year to help with this.

I have a lot of soft fruit on my plot and that pays the rental several times over if you conpare to supermarket prices.  I'd hate to think how much money it would be for all the veg as well  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:08 »
I'm just off for rhubarb.

60 sticks so far. Trashco are selling them "half price" - you get 3 sticks for £1.99, so work that out!

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:15 »
my soft fruit and rhubarb alone would pay nearly a decade of rent. I am already giving rhubarb away, as I have so much. It will be a very difficult year for watering, absolutely, so I am trying to counter that as best as possible.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:18 »
We are rhubarb millionaires  :lol:  I have a list of eager people at work who were dropping less than subtle hints yesterday about whether I would going to the plot this weekend and whether rhubarb picking was on the agenda  ;)  :lol:

Has the mystery turbo rhubarb I gave you lived up to my rave reviews then Plum  ;)  Mine is about 1m across now (3 clumps  :ohmy:) and been picking for a few weeks now  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11 »
Just been for mine - now up to 96 sticks.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13 »
I'm just off for rhubarb.

60 sticks so far. Trashco are selling them "half price" - you get 3 sticks for £1.99, so work that out!

£1.33 per stick normal price...!!!

I must rush up to my plot now..it must be worth millions.

And the runners in the supermarkets are so expensive, especially considering they are stringy and I would throw them on the compost heap if I had left them that long.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:19 »
Agree with those who say we can still have veg even if we don't water at all.

For me, keeping the soil enriched and spacing wider than it says on the seed packets, as well as keeping weeds away, means that I never water anyway. 
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:35 »
We are no in an area that has issued or will be issuing a hosepipe ban in the immediate future. However, I agree with most about enriching the soil. I have a minimum water policy in any case. Only seed drills and newly plants plants get watered and then only for up to a week.

My plot neighbours either side on the other hand use artificial fertilisers spreading them liberally around. The quality of my soil looks so much better than theirs. For the first couple of years I had my plot they were definitely getting better crops than me. But they were spending inordinate amounts of time watering every day.

Now things are evening up, I have less weeds, and my crops are now equalling theirs. I consider I have minimal input into my plot for fantastic return.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mattwragg94

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39 »
£1.33 per stick normal price...!!!

not where i go i get it for 40p per lb and its been like that for years - and you pick your own :) - but obviously not from a shop - its from the local horticultural society! :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:52 by mattwragg94 »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42 »
No sites round here are allowed to use hosepipes even when water is plentiful. We have our own bore hole water on our plot, and that applies to us as well.

Hand watering has been fine so far, and will continue to be good enough.

One site nearby has no on-site water, and people take it from home in the boots of their cars, in a range of large containers. I do admire their effort  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Cost?

Started by Zammoimp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:20
by woodburner
xx
Allotment cost

Started by Brightie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 10:50
by Ivor Backache
xx
The cost of garlic

Started by Brian_of_Bozeat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 08:33
by Alex 98
question
Cost of Paraffin

Started by horsepooisgood on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 13:29
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 38 queries.