How much do you think it will cost you

• 35 Replies

Goldfinger

Re: How much do you think it will cost you
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56 »

No-ones mentioned the cost of fuel to go get the stuff from the shops, is this another saving area?

And the freshness of your crops? Now THAT'S something you cannot beat!  :D

plum crumble

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 09:58 »
We are rhubarb millionaires  :lol:  I have a list of eager people at work who were dropping less than subtle hints yesterday about whether I would going to the plot this weekend and whether rhubarb picking was on the agenda  ;)  :lol:

Has the mystery turbo rhubarb I gave you lived up to my rave reviews then Plum  ;)  Mine is about 1m across now (3 clumps  :ohmy:) and been picking for a few weeks now  :D

New Shoot your turbo rhubarb is marvellous!  ::) It clearly beats my other mystery variety ( sieve brain here can't think of the name)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 09:59 »
Nikkithefoot, your post gives me a warm glow! I too want as much as possible for the least effort!
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17 »
My Dad tends to grow things he feels tastes better home grown i.e. peas, beans, sweetcorn, beetroot. I tend to grow things I can't get in the shops very easily; kohlrabi, different varieties of beetroot and carrots for instance.

It's more than saving money for me though, it's a therapy, I get very grumpy in wintertime.  :wub: I inherited a lot of fruit and, as other people have said, the saving in rhubarb alone is enormous. And don't even get me started on the cherries. The morello cherry tree had so much fruit last year the branches were trailing on the ground, you had to kneel on the ground to pick cherries. We also eat more fruit now when in season. And out of season, we used up the last of the rhubarb in the freezer the other day. I've not yet got any this year, I forgot to force it and mine always seems a little bit behind other people's.

And while I'm there, when well enough to, I'm not out shopping spending money on things I don't really need. :wub:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:18 by Schubunny »

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54 »
If you're growing crops that need such heavy watering that a hose is essential on even the best of years.. I'd question whether you're putting tradition before practicality.  If financial savings are a significant reason for having an allotment, do potatos and onions represent much of a profit even when water is freely available?  I grow those crops for the taste, not the cash value.

The soft fruits, rhubarb, etc.. they are the crops where you earn the allotment rent :)

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 11:20 »
I have never yet had a year when I have failed with everything, though something fails every year.

I have - 3 years running everything I have planted in the open ground has been very poor, so much so that this year, I'm struggling to justify planting anything outside.

Just been for mine - now up to 96 sticks.

I've told you Dave put a picture of it up and I'll give it bad JuJu from here - your super rhubarb is no match for my brown thumb  :D The slugs and I shared 2 stalks from mine last week.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35 »
i guess if these hosepipe bans become a regular then it would ideal to get hold of those gaint water tubs and start saving rain water in time for next year's spring/summer.

Agatha

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 13:01 »
I don't own a hosepipe & don't have time to water loads of things by watering can.  Last year, during the drought period, I took 2 x 2 gallon cans to the veg patch each night and watered until the water was gone.  The next night, different crops got the water.  By watering occassionally & thoroughly & by mulching, my veg all survived.  The rhubarb and fruit bushes are NEVER watered, they just get mulched very thickly while the ground is moist. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 15:16 »
I have never yet had a year when I have failed with everything, though something fails every year.

I have - 3 years running everything I have planted in the open ground has been very poor, so much so that this year, I'm struggling to justify planting anything outside.

Sad to hear that, Lardman..what do you think goes wrong?

digalotty

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 15:21 »
im not allowed hosepipes anyway but we have a supply at the end of the plot in header style tanks that automatically fill , so i just keep dipping my cans in and watering .
im in the midlands and it is showing rain for the next seven days so i dont think not growing is a viable answer.
water what needs it and thats it ,    my neighbour never water their strawberrys and they were much better than mine for flavour so this year i will only water my potted ones
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 16:58 »
Sad to hear that, Lardman..what do you think goes wrong?

A large part of it is due to the local soil conditions and the fact we have had several dry years. My growing area is a sand pit, even under normal conditions keeping enough moisture in the top layers is very difficult, in a dry year I can leave the hose on all the time, the water simply disappears along with any nutrients.

Add to that plagues of allium leaf miner and you're left with a very small list of growable veg.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 18:00 »
My plot neighbours are practically suicidal about the threat of a hosepipe ban(Portsmouth Water not yet affected)-thats because they connect up 3 sprinklers and then sit on their arris' for the evening!
Ive always used a watering can IF i water at all-i believe my plants are stronger because of it and i dont see the point of watering the ground where my plants arent!
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 18:03 »
My plot neighbours are practically suicidal about the threat of a hosepipe ban(Portsmouth Water not yet affected)-thats because they connect up 3 sprinklers and then sit on their arris' for the evening!
Ive always used a watering can IF i water at all-i believe my plants are stronger because of it and i dont see the point of watering the ground where my plants arent!

Agreed. There are far better things in life than watering plants - be it by can or hose.

I very rarely water mine and get good crops. Seems a waste of time, effort and resources to do otherwise.

sarajane

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 18:12 »
I've just spent £1.99 on a bag of potatoes, the first I,ve bought since last august. Thats 8 months without buying spuds.  Just about a couple of weeks of onions left also so I would say the money I have saved just with these 2 crops have more than covered the cost of this years seeds and compost.

There is an initial outlay with fruit bushes etc but when I think I've probably made 50 jars of jam, chutney etc, more savings and as for fruit pies and crumbles and leek flans

I know I don't grow to save money but it might be interesting to add up the costings of what we crop  -  might even give it a go (I'll probably forget though)

As for rhubarb, I've got so much I feel a jam session coming on.

I only water with a can and only on new seeds and seedlings.  Everything has to get on by itself and it makes the roots go down deeper in search of water.  Watering every day just produces short roots and the likelihood of crop failure when you can't get to water.

Dopey113

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 18:19 »
My neighbour is already using the hose pipe despite 1 the ban and 2 he hasn't even planted anything yet, he just filled all hit butts & bins up.... and he's the rep!!
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

xx
Cost?

Started by Zammoimp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:20
by woodburner
xx
Allotment cost

Started by Brightie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 10:50
by Ivor Backache
xx
The cost of garlic

Started by Brian_of_Bozeat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 08:33
by Alex 98
question
Cost of Paraffin

Started by horsepooisgood on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 13:29
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 37 queries.