chicken runs

• 8 Replies

boolee

chicken runs
« on: April 06, 2012, 23:31 »
i am thinking of getting chicken and have been looking at chicken runs ect, are the purpose built chicken runs with built in coop and nesting box big enough for example 3ft x 7ft x 4ft height. i am thinking  of getting 3 hens would they have enough space and be happy in a  run of this size  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: chicken runs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 23:49 »
In a word?   No!

Even the coops are usually too small. 

Unless you spend loads of money, the manufacturers of these coops and runs are only interested in your money, not how happy your chickens are.

Plenty of our members have bought these, usually Chinese made coops and quickly regretted it.

Try to get something made in the UK, or a decent size.  DEFRA say the minimum size for a chicken coop, is 1 sq ft per bird.  That really is too small, expecially if the weather is bad and they spend more time inside.  At least 2 sq ft per bird, more if you can.  Also minimum run space per bird is 1 sq metre, but again, at least 2, but as much room as you can manage.

Remember, these are birds we are talking about.  They like to run around and even fly, so if you can manage it, make the run 6ft tall.  A lot of commercially built runs are only 3ft.  Difficult for a person to get into if needed.  But a walk in run is much better for you and the chickens.

Sorry if I sound a bit school marm-ish, but I have kept chickens on and off for years, and love to see them have as natural a life as possible.

Have a look on here at some people's runs.  I know some are a bit small, it's not up to me really, but if you truly want happy chickens, give them a good life.     :) :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73179.0

Don't let me put you off though.  Chickens give a lot of pleasure with their antics as well as lovely fresh eggs!   :D :D

boolee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19 »
Thank you for your advice it's not put me off I want happy chickens x x

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:50 »
This is what the law says but as said the more space the better. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&ssDocName=DG_189309
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 18:50 by Tony H »
Chicken crazy

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:49 »
That's terribly confusing. 250 cm squared. That could mean 2.5 x 2.5 (6.25) square meters or 2.5 square meters or 250 square cm which is 0.025 square meters.
I always thought 2 square meters was perfectly alright per bird?
Whatever.....those coops and runs are much too small and you'll need to build an extended run.
I started with one of those coops for 3 birds and OH made a 3 square meter extension straight away because they couldn't move. The coop was fine but we were moving the whole shebang weekly round the lawn. We then got an Eglu Cube and have added various runs so the 6 birds (I know....we got more!) have 2 square meters each. The set-up is under trees on earth now down the bottom of the garden.
The girls get to freerange fairly regularly but I'm out there with them gardening (fox prowling)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22 »
We have one of those coops, but the chooks are only in it when we are not home. We live on a small estate with a footpath down the side and a playing field behind, so the chooks are safer in a smaller area if balls, which might be followed by (scratched to bits by rose barrier) kids, though they need to be very tenatious to get past the Albertine which covers the back fence. The rest of the time they have the run of the drive, with a patch of bark and a piece of turf to scratch about in, dust bath and their food is kept dry in the run. The drive is netted over to stop escapes. When they have settled in we plan to let them have supervised time in the garden, which is small, but the veg patch is already netted against dogs (well, one dog!)

michael85

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:14 »
Were on our second chicken run now. Ive built them both myself. The first one wasnt high enough for me to walk inside, this turned out to be a big mistake! The second run that ive just finished is as high as the fence. Its much much better!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:43 »
I agree about being able to stand, unfortunately, with my arthritis I am unable to reach in to clean the run. ;)

But on a serious note, we do see the present accommodation as temporary and as soon as the allotment(!) is up and running a run will be built where the present veggie patch is, with a little shed to make cleaning easier. If we have room on the lottie we will get more, but I don't know if my originals will move, I am already rather fond, and have only had them five days!!!!!! :lol:

Thrift

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09 »
Glad you're enjoying your new girls tosca.  :) It seemed very deserted here when we were henless for a month, even though I curse them when OH leaves the gates open and they rummage in the garden.

xx
all about chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 14:46
by poultrygeist
xx
Chicken Runs...

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 12:54
by batcatz
xx
chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 17:01
by will
xx
Chicken has the runs...

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 23:53
by Boxfanman

Page created in 0.589 seconds with 37 queries.