Funny smell on my neighbours allotment..

• 11 Replies

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
Funny smell on my neighbours allotment..
« on: April 06, 2012, 14:31 »
For the last 3 or 4 weeks I have sometimes smelt something which I put down to being a paraffin heater in my neighbours greenhouse.  My allotment neighbour spoke to me today saying that they have a problem in their greenhouse...they think they have methane gas.  They took me in there and it really does smell a lot in there.  I asked them if they used a paraffin heater or have any old paraffin lying around which may have tipped over but they say they have never used one.  They are going to speak to the committee to get advice but I wondered if anybody on here could shed any light on it. 

Does anybody know what it could possibly be?

Thank you for your replies.

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
Re: Funny smell on my neighbours allotment..
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 15:10 »
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 15:34 »
The local council may be able to tell if it is methane.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 15:39 »
That is an interesting article lazydog. Kippers garden, you haven't put your location in your profile, so we don't know where you are to know if that applies.

It might be also, that there is a piped domestic gas supply running somewhere near or under the greenhouse, which could be checked. Lastly, are there any propane gas bottles around - the red ones? We run the gas supply to our house off those and it smells when/if it leaks.

Clarify identification of propane gas container.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 15:45 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 16:02 »
...they think they have methane gas.  They took me in there and it really does smell a lot in there..

methane gas is odourless - that's why they used canaries in coal mines before technology caught up ... if the canary fell over, miners knew there was gas even if they couldn't smell it.

jrko

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 16:55 »
I know it sounds gross but a rotting animal body stinks to high heaven and can last for some time. We had a bird inside some cable ducting at work once :tongue2:

Check behind heavy stuff - it may have woken early and then been looking for a hidey hole as the temps dropped again.  Warmer weather makes the smell worse and few bugs are about yet to munch. 

Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 18:53 »
I know it sounds gross but a rotting animal body stinks to high heaven and can last for some time. We had a bird inside some cable ducting at work once :tongue2:

Check behind heavy stuff - it may have woken early and then been looking for a hidey hole as the temps dropped again.  Warmer weather makes the smell worse and few bugs are about yet to munch. 

I agree.  My guess would be a dead rat.   The man from the gas board told us that dead rats are responsible for quite a number of false call outs.  It bet it's under the shed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 19:38 »

I agree.  My guess would be a dead rat.   The man from the gas board told us that dead rats are responsible for quite a number of false call outs.  It bet it's under the shed.

That sounds a very likely reason Anne, especially as, Like BabbyAnn said, methane is odourless
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:01 »
Thanks for your replies.

As it smells a lot then it can't be methane.  We live in the midlands and there has never been coal mines around here.  The allotment site is approx 100 years old so i can't see it being a leaking gas pipe.  I'm not sure about the dead animal theory as they said they smelt it a bit last year....but what else could it possibly be?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23 »
Has someone nearby got a compost heap where they put a lot of grass clippings?  That creates anaerobic composting which smells like nothing on earth  :blink:

One of the guys on my site was told to clear his bins last autumn as he was heaping stuff against an old yew tree on the boundary and was killing it.  He cleared the site when he emptied that lot   ::)

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 08:57 »

Good point forgot that bit!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:02 »
If we had a description of the smell, it might help identification. :)

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 37 queries.