Courgettes / Squash plants in a cold greenhouse

• 10 Replies

Yana

Courgettes / Squash plants in a cold greenhouse
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:58 »
My courgette and squash seedlings are now large, healthy plants and have outgrown the windowsill they are currently sitting on. Is it too soon to put them into a cold greenhouse that gets lots of sun but is not heated so the night time temperature can drop quite a bit?

I don't want to loose them as I have worked hard to get them this far. Might have been a bit hasty starting them off so early :wacko:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Courgettes / Squash plants in a cold greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11 »
It would be too cold out there at night, as temperatures can still hover around zero, even in your area, at this time in the year.

You could put them in the greenhouse during the day, with plenty of ventilation (sunshine can overheat greenhouses very quickly) and then bring them indoors again at night
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16 »
I'm afraid yours is the classic problem experienced by those who start off such large plants too early.

You really need to keep them above around 10C at all times, which could well still be a problem in an unheated greenhouse.

If they really have to go into the greenhouse, I would advise sowing some back-ups (I won't be sowing my tender summer stuff to be grown outdoors for another couple of weeks.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:30 »
i normally sow mine in an unheated GH at this time of year (did it last week) and there coming through quite quick. But my greenhouse is in a sheltered position and seems to keep the heat in well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:31 by mattwragg94 »

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58 »
ooop,s yet another ball,s up from this here novice grower  :blush: got butternut squash seeds via amazon sowed them 3 day,s ago and have 8 up of 10 seed,s,look,s like another mistake on my part price was horendess and was just hoping to get something that i had grown myself and then get to play in my kitchen loive any type of squash to cook with,but sound,s like i will be getting mine from sainsbury,s yet again this year and heh matt 3 jalopeanoes looking goooooood :D :D :D
cheers jay 8)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:01 »
well ive nevr heard of anyone ordering their seeds via amazon - must have a look. you may get away with the butternuts jay - think positive! :lol:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45 »
well ive nevr heard of anyone ordering their seeds via amazon - must have a look. you may get away with the butternuts jay - think positive! :lol:

matt mate so fed up with my new hobby,costing me a fortune cos of memery loss advice needed and hey ho will be duly noted by my good self :D but for me tommorrow is an other day :D
cheers jay 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 14:21 »
I sowed a couple of courgette seeds just to see if I can get them started earlier.  They are doing fine at the moment.

A couple of years ago, Aunt Sally said about bubble wrapping her greenhouse, so my smallest greenhouse is completely bubble wrapped with BW salvaged from different places, and this year I also bubble wrapped the staging, so if there is a frost, all my seedlings go inside the staging.

It was very frosty here this morning, but when I went outside the GH was 14C, so must have been a bit warmer inside the staging.  And everything looks fine.

Still keeping fingers crossed.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 14:27 »
Just read your post Jay.  I've never bought seeds from Amazon either.  Were these seeds of yours F1's?

Have you looked on Premier Seeds Direct website, they sell through Ebay as well.  They are very good with P&P.  Most seeds are 99p, and the other week I ordered 5 packs, including runner beans and broad beans and they still only charged me 59p P&P

alanromans.com also good prices, but they don't have a huge selection of varieties and don't know what their P&P is like now.

Also places like Wilkinsons, Lidl and Aldi for cheap seeds.  Much better when you are just starting out than paying too much money for seeds.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 17:30 »
thanks g i have heard others on here talking about premier seeds so will try and find them,i think matt is a fan as well,unfortunally i carnt get out to do wilko,s or lidle,s being more or less housebound,and driving my carer,s away by the dozen  :D :D but will let you all know how i get on with them,amazon must have had around £100 pounds from me in the last month with seeds,mini greenhouse and potting compost etc,etc shame they dont sell body,s cos would buy one of them  :D
cheers jay  8)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 17:40 »
Aww sorry you are more or less housebound Jay001, must be frustrating, but good that you are still having a go at growing things.  I hope your little greenhouse is in a nice wind sheltered spot.  It may last you a while.  Unfortunately they are rather prone to ripping in the wind.

But once you get a couple of nice seed sources, things will get cheaper for you! 

If you don't mind me asking, why do you keep driving your carers away?  Don't you get on with any of them?  That's a shame, as they could go out and source some cheaper compost for you.

Good luck with it all!

xx
Can my plants leave the greenhouse and cold frame?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 17:45
by Sue33
xx
Courgettes/squash

Started by Diggin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 07:49
by Kirpi
xx
courgettes and squash

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:23
by fatbelly
xx
Courgettes/Squash

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:22
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 37 queries.